Skip to main content

Hi all

I have a tiny evergrowing home studio that could need some good mikes other than my SM57, C3000 and MK219.
I could really use a stereo set of mikes for Micing a piano, overheads or basic location recording.

For recording a grand piano I have never stumbled across anything that bested a pair of 414 B/ULS, and they DO rock on overheads to. And also on anything. The problem is price of course, the pair would cost something like $1200 and that is a rather scary amount of money for me right now!
I've been offered a really good deal (about $400) on a matched pair 4033's, and I hear they are considered god allround mikes, but will they be able to fill the spot (in my heart at least?) of a couple of 414? Sadly, I have no opportunity to test a 4033...

What do you guys think? Buy now, or save up?

Topic Tags

Comments

anonymous Wed, 10/20/2004 - 05:31

I think the 4033's would make a great contribution to your studio. $400/pair is a good price as well. Will they be able to sub for a pair of 414buls? Not really. The 4033's are much brighter. I find the 414buls to be rather dark for most applications. I have successfully used the 4033's is the situations you mentioned. They are a great all around mic, and affordable as well. If I only had a choice between a pair of 414's and and pair of 4033's, I would probably prefer to have a pair of 4033's.
Now, that being said, for you piano sound, it is really going to depend on the style you are trying to achieve, as well as the sound of your piano. The 4033's may be too bright. The same goes for overheads on a drum kit, it really boils down to the players cymbals and how he hits them. If he is producing an overly bright sound on his own, 414's are good for taming that.

It's not a cut and dried answer, but if money is an issue, I don't think you will regret buying the pair of 4033's. They're great mics.