Skip to main content

I acquired a Behringer XENYX 1832FX mixer; all works fine. But, I can’t seem to discreetly hook up a sub-woofer to it.

This is probably a simple question but, getting it right has eluded me. I have read through the manual several times and, the langauge just makes my eyes glaze over. It seems geared more to “Recording” approaches than straight “Playback” and “Setup” techniques.

The mains sound fine; I can run the subs through the mains and they are receiving signals okay; and, I can run the sub from the main speaker’s output okay. But, I want to be able to control the subs separately.

How do I hook up one or two subs? Finding the right sequencing for using the “Subgroup”, the “Control Room” and/or the “Monitor” eludes me.

Have I just missed it or, is there a little wrinkle and twist to do to get it right?

Topic Tags

Comments

moonbaby Wed, 12/10/2008 - 03:35

Not clear as to the subs-are these powered ("active")? If so, try feeding them a signal from one of the "AUX" sends, a pre-fader one would probably be best (especially if the post-fader ones are being used for FX mixing), so that you would have independent control over the main vs sub levels. This way, the Aux Send on each source input will have the ability to dial-in the amount you want to deliver to the subs.
Ex:
The DJ mic probably shouldn't be mixed to the subs, as this would just make the pop and rumble noises more audible. So you wouldn't dial that channel into the subs, OK? Ditto if you have a turntable. Mix the CD's and MP3's to the subs all you want. Make sense?

Kapt.Krunch Wed, 12/10/2008 - 06:18

moonbaby wrote: Not clear as to the subs-are these powered ("active")? If so, try feeding them a signal from one of the "AUX" sends, a pre-fader one would probably be best (especially if the post-fader ones are being used for FX mixing), so that you would have independent control over the main vs sub levels. This way, the Aux Send on each source input will have the ability to dial-in the amount you want to deliver to the subs.

The problem with that is that the mains will get the same low frequency component as the subs. The subs won't go any lower, frequency-wise, than the mains will take. They'll get the same EQ....anything you do to try to boost the lows in the subs will also do to the mains. If the mains start farting out, you may not be getting the most out of the subs.

That mixer doesn't have a dedicated crossed-overed sub out. Something like that would have allowed a crossover point to direct the lows to the subs, and the mid/highs to the mains. This would allow tuning the subs more without interfering with the mains, since the mains are not reproducing the lows below a certain point. That would also allow the mains to be more clear and powerful, since they only have to worry about frequencies above a certain point and are not getting pummeled by bass.

In the quoted scenario, yes, you can get the subs to go louder. The question now is, will the mains keep up? If you have to turn them up to match the subs, then the bass in the mains may start distorting. If you try to fix it by turning down lows on a main EQ or even channels, either affects both the mains and subs, so you are also removing the bass from the subs. You'll chase your tail.

There may even be a way to run the main mix out to an active crossover (that you'd have to buy) and back into the mixer at a point that allows you to run the mids/highs through the internal amp and to the mains, and route the lows out to subs...probably out the 'Low" output of the crossover right to the powered subs, or out that to a more powerful amp to drive the subs, if not powered subs. The manual would show you if that could be done.

Yeah, you can run all this without a crossover...but it won't be doing what would be most beneficial, and you'll compromise the potential sound quality of either the mains or the subs.

Kapt.Krunch

moonbaby Wed, 12/10/2008 - 09:07

Active subs feature a built-in electronic crossover. I've never seen one that didn't. The crossover is lowpass-it filters the highs, and passes the lows to the internal power amp/speaker. The FOH will not limit what the subs get, in this regard. If the poster wants to control what goes to the subs (and at what relative level), using an Aux Send bus to do this is certainly a viable way to do this. I do it every week.

tarvalon Fri, 08/26/2011 - 05:29

DJDance,

I have the exact same board and was having the exact same problem with my QSC sub I newly purchased. When I plugged it into my Monitor 15" club speakers, it was getting waaay too much signal and was over powering. After reading the posts on the aux sends, I tried plugging the quarter inch into it and got little to no results. The best way I have found, as long as it is not occupied, is to use your head phone jack. Run the quarter inch cable to the head phone jack. Use the head phone jack volume to adjust the bass volume on the subwoofer. It worked perfectly for me and controlled the beast that I bought. Wicked awesome...

x

User login