Skip to main content

Hi everyone,
I was looking at my gear magazines today and my eyes wondered over to the reverb processors. How can Lexicon and tc electronic sell reverbs that list at $15000? This seems absolutely insane to me. I hope these processors also do the dishes and walk on water for that price. I just can't see any reverb meriting that kind of list price. So does anyone know of music that show these reverbs in action? (ie. samples on the net etc.)I'm very curious to hear these golden reverbs...

Topic Tags

Comments

anonymous Sun, 04/21/2002 - 07:06

Hi.
These reverbs do sound very very good in the same way a "superexpensive" limiter sounds good. That is they don´t have a "sound". They are helping the soundenginer to make mixing fast and correct. When you dial in a preset called "Church" or Club" etc that is what you get in a very convincing manner. So they are worth the money if speed in production is a matter. Doing a major release of a film or most CD´s there is simply no time trying to get it right with a 200 buck unit.

I have spent the last week with a TC 6000 and the results are absolutely amazing.
The anwer to if it worth it is of cause up to the user. Is Michael Schumacher´s F1 car worth anything for him? Any car will take him round the track, wouldn´t it?

Best
Lennart

Produceher Sun, 04/21/2002 - 11:32

The thing that makes those reverbs soo good is that you can put lots of reverb on a vocal and it still doesn't get lost. The vocal is still in your face with all that depth. Cheap verbs wash out the sound.

Listen to any ballad by Mariah, Celine or Whitney. Theres tons of verb. You can't put that much cheap reverb on a vocal.

audiokid Fri, 02/19/2010 - 15:25

Bricasti Design M7M

Fenster, post: 26375 wrote: Hi everyone,
I was looking at my gear magazines today and my eyes wondered over to the reverb processors. How can lexicon and tc electronic sell reverbs that list at $15000??? This seems absolutely insane to me. I hope these processors also do the dishes and walk on water for that price. I just can't see any reverb meriting that kind of list price. So does anyone know of music that show these reverbs in action? (ie. samples on the net ect.)I'm very curious to hear these golden reverbs...

And now there is the Bricasti 7 and I see the new M7M that's more affordable... Has anyone had the opportunity to hear it?

hueseph Fri, 02/19/2010 - 20:58

Produceher, post: 26377 wrote: The thing that makes those reverbs soo good is that you can put lots of reverb on a vocal and it still doesn't get lost. The vocal is still in your face with all that depth. Cheap verbs wash out the sound.

Listen to any ballad by Mariah, Celine or Whitney. Theres tons of verb. You can't put that much cheap reverb on a vocal.

You can easily wash out a vocal with an expensive reverb. It's how you apply it that makes the difference there. What I think makes an expensive reverb worth the money is the depth of detail when you listen to it loud. Cheaper reverbs deteriorate rather quickly when you listen at higher volumes. Not something you would notice at average listening levels but when you put on a good set of headphones or listen on a high powered stereo system, the details come out.

anonymous Mon, 04/26/2010 - 22:18

There are of course the three options for making a record, you can have two:
1. It can be done well
2. It can be done cheap
3. It can be done fast

So the better the reverb, the faster you can mix, but its not going to be cheap. I do believe that there are less expensive convolution reverbs, and even a couple math reverbs, that are "acceptable" for making a really good mix. For instance the Sonnox reverb is wonderful and really gives moderate priced convolutions a run for their money. Plus its a Sonnox so it gives it that really distinct colour. Notice I said distinct, you may hate it, you may love it. I agree with tcastudios, the better the plug, the less the "sound" it has of its own. So what I'm assuming, while not personally having used a lot of these reverbs except for a fairly high end TC Electronics reverb, is that you get the most transparent reverb possible with some really super fancy sampling voodoo that they paid a NASA math wiz lots of money to make.

BobRogers Tue, 04/27/2010 - 09:08

planet10, post: 347107 wrote: Michael Waganer said to me once, outboard reverbs are the only way to go, they just sound better than plugins, for some reason they just do......

That really shouldn't be that surprising. Reverbs are some of the most CPU intensive algorithms we use. Anyone trying to design a robust piece of software that will work with a lot of different systems is going to have to make a lot more compromises than someone who can choose the processor and the algorithm to match.

audiokid Tue, 04/27/2010 - 09:42

All I know is I want the Bricasti.
I received an email from Lexicon a month back wondering if I would be interested in trying their new plugin, and I passed on it. CPU hogs is something I don't need.Never heard from whomever sent me an email.
I would love to have their latest hardware verb though, but I somehow don't think it comes close to the Bricasti. I have an older Lexicon in my rack that still sound better than plugins, however, it is noisy. I need a new reverb.