Skip to main content

I am looking to beef up my Optical Compressor investments. I am currently looking at a either a Avalon 747 or a Avalon AD2044. I already know there are some obvious differences i.e. The 747 has a Graphic EQ in the chain, the 747 has a side chain option, the 747 only allows for linked operation (the two channels cannot be operated seperately). Many of their specs seem similar.

I tried calling Avalon (they don't allow emails?) to speak with someone and it was hard to tell if the guy I spoke with really worked there (not much help).

Has anyone used either of these compressors?
Has Anyone had the opportunity to A/B them against one another, if so any notes on the sonic differences wud be appreciated?
Opinions on either of the units would be appreciated?
Any other suggestions for an optical compressor to look at, other than a Manley ELOP, 1176 and LA-2A , based on actual user experience would be appreciated? Thanks.

Comments

anonymous Wed, 09/07/2005 - 15:14

It was actually kind of funny. I call in get this prototypical secretary type picking up the phone in a totally uninterested, bordering on annoyed tone... heloooooo Avalon, how can I help you ( READ: I wish you weren't bothering but I need a job and it's better than hitting the streets again). I tell the lady I need technical support, and she replies , 'whaaat', I repeat myself, 'Hold On'.

The next thing I know I get this guy who sounds like a KGB agent that I just caught taking a snooze for the last hour answers the phone abruptly - HELLO. I asked some very basic questions but the guy made it seem like I was talking to him about Quantum physics. I don't know if it was a language issue or if he was annoyed (it certainly felt like it) that he had to deal with me.

The best part is that they don't accept emails from the 'outside world' - for fear of viruses, hoaxes and whole bunch of other BS!! Anyways, I wasn't impressed to say the least.