Skip to main content

Greetings

Digi's new 5.3.1 software will have a new mix bus, here is some preliminary info on it. I'll have more info on my website this week end. There is more details in the Pro Tools section int the DAW forum.

• New Mixer pluginsProvide a True 48-Bit Mix Bus Topology with +48 dB of Headroom:
As a result of Digidesign’s efforts to continuously advance sonic quality within Pro Tools,
we are providing four new mixers (Stereo and Surround, Dithered and Non-dithered) which
utilize multiple TDM paths to maintain a true 48-bit signal path at all times, regardless of the
complexity of your mix.

What do you tech heads think? Jules, do you think it will get you to stay in PT for all of your mixing, or go out to analog for your summing?

The release date is "shipping soon"

Darren
http://www.dixondigital.com

Comments

Guest Fri, 04/05/2002 - 05:33

Pray for Revival and Restoration in this Nation...

(Dead Link Removed)

I'm just curious about Pro-sTools salesmen in general... do they give you each a blue plaid jacket when you sign the dealer agreement? Y'all have so many similar characteristics to the used car pimps, I was just wondering...

anonymous Fri, 04/05/2002 - 13:05

Pray for Revival and Restoration in this Nation...
(Dead Link Removed)
I'm just curious about Pro-sTools salesmen in general... do they give you each a blue plaid jacket when you sign the dealer agreement? Y'all have so many similar characteristics to the used car pimps, I was just wondering...

Fletcher,
It probably is the same, I just copied the info from an email I got and thought that some people might be interested in it. Hype or No Hype, it still has some info in it that is relevant to this group.

I don't have a plaid coat, I do have blue jeans.

After I'm done praying for this nation, I'll pray for you Fletcher :)

Kurt,

I think the 5.3.1 is for Mix systems also. Pretty cool. I have some more info on the site now so if you want to know more you can check it out.

HTH

"The blue plaid coated praying, Digi Sales dude" :D

Darren
http://www.dixondigital.com

Guest Fri, 04/05/2002 - 14:01

It will be interesting to see what the digital math savvy & golden eared will make of this upcoming change to the PT mixer.

:)

Meanwhile, here are some tech details.

|  IP: Logged
DigiCS
Administrator
Member # 6087

posted April 05, 2002 02:45 PM                  
------------------------------------------------------------------------
PT 5.3.1 will include New Mixerplug-insfor our HD system that will provide a True 48-Bit Mix Bus Topology with +48 dB of Headroom.

We are providing four new mixers (Stereo and Surround, Dithered and Non-dithered) which utilize multiple TDM paths to maintain a true 48-bit signal path, regardless of the complexity of your mix.

What this means is that regardless of the number of DSP chips you are using for your mixer, or the number of "submixers" Pro Tools builds, the mixer path will remain at 48-bit with no truncation/dither to 24-bit between DSP chips.

PT 5.3.1 will be shown at NAB and be available for HD systems in late Q2.

DigiCS

What's the downside? Half as many tracks? Half as many plugins? Something's gotta give?!?
DigiCS
Administrator
Member # 6087

posted April 05, 2002 03:36 PM                  
Downside is minimal. No reduction in track count or plugs, just a very slight increase in TDM time slot usage, though given the new increase in time slots and new time slot management in the HD system this should be negligible.

I'll have to let the more technical Digi folks address your plug-in question AE.

DigiCS

Originally posted by DigiCS:
PT 5.3.1 will include New Mixerplug-insfor our HD system that will provide a True 48-Bit Mix Bus Topology with +48 dB of Headroom.

We are providing four new mixers (Stereo and Surround, Dithered and Non-dithered) which utilize multiple TDM paths to maintain a true 48-bit signal path, regardless of the complexity of your mix.

What this means is that regardless of the number of DSP chips you are using for your mixer, or the number of "submixers" Pro Tools builds, the mixer path will remain at 48-bit with no truncation/dither to 24-bit between DSP chips.

PT 5.3.1 will be shown at NAB and be available for HD systems in late Q2.

DigiCS

Digi Engineering
Administrator
Member # 618

posted April 05, 2002 05:03 PM               
The upcoming mixer release will use a few more TDM timeslots when you must grow beyond a single DSP (more than 68 channels to a stereo pair), just because it will now send 2 timeslots worth of data (instead of 1) from the "sub-mixed" DSPs to the final summing point. For example, if you have a 90 channel mix to output 1-2 on HD, it will have 2 DSPs for the sub-mixes, and require 8 24-bit TDM connections in between the sub-mixes and the final summing mixer (L&R for each sub-mix at 48-bits each). Previously it would only require 4 TDM connections.
As far as DSP usage, though, the new scheme uses a similar amount of DSP since the summing mixer doesn't have to gain/pan the inputs (even though it must sum them at 48-bits). Also FYI, the surround mixer will also use the new method when "splitting" across DSPs.

-Toby Dunn, Digi SW

x

User login