Skip to main content

I just picked up a 1964 Fender Tremolux - all stock (RCA tubes, original oxford speakers, etc.) I have a couple of questions.

1) I'd like to change out the power cord to something that is grounded. Is this a big no-no for the amp's value? If not, any advice for the best way to ground it?

2) The amp is a blackface blonde. I guess it was a transition model from the true blonde (brown face, white knobs) to the blackface (bright switches, black knobs). Anyone know if this is a good thing or a bad thing (is it pretty rare or is it a tremolux step-child?)

Regardless, the amp sounds incredible. It has been in storage for a long time and the old tubes sound great. Thanks in advance!

Wes

Topic Tags

Comments

moonbaby Wed, 09/28/2005 - 09:03

OOOOOH, BABY!
I'll bet that you thought that you died and went to heaven 8-) !!
A 3-wire cord is a MUST if you are going to use it and not risk electrocuting the player. I don't believe that that is a "no-no", but even if it is, ya need to do it as a safety issue. That old power cord is probably dry-rotting, anyway.
I think that an early edition of the Tube Amp Book by Mr. Pittman has a pic of that very model in it, courtesy of the Sullivan family. Pretty rare.
As far as the power cord job is concerned, you should check out Torres Engineering's website. Dan Torres has that mod available in a kit. They are also a great source for info/parts for an amp like that. Highly recommended, as is his book (also on the website).
BTW, may I ask what it cost you?

anonymous Wed, 09/28/2005 - 13:43

Yeah, I'm pretty pumped about it! I'll check for that power cord mod (I was pretty sure it needed replacing).

The amp belonged to the owner of a music store I worked at in college. He taught me a lot about every aspect of music (recording, live sound, fixing guitars, ets.) Anyway, he died about a month ago and his family decided to sell off his personal collection of guitars and amps. I still keep in touch with the manager of the store on a regular basis, so when they got all of his gear together, I went down there to check it out. Talk about vintage! I'd seen a lot of his stuff over the years but he was a huge gear head and he had stuff I've never even heard of. Several National guitars, a double neck Denelectro guitar/bass, a lot of old acoustics, and some cool amps (60s Princeton, Champ, Vibro King, Concert amp, some Gibsons). I'd seen this Tremolux upstairs in the storage room when I worked in the store and always thought it was a really cool amp.

I saw it was for sale and really liked the idea of owning one of my old boss's amps, so I decided to go for it. It's hard to figure out what one of those is actually worth since they made so many different variations. But, since it was totally original and the manager of the store cut me a deal to "keep it in the family," I bought it. I got the amp (head and piggyback 2 X 10" cab) for $1000 cash.

It cleaned up really well (cosmetically) and sounds incredible!! The closed back cabinet makes it really fat and tight and the tens give it all kinds of punch. I may try to build a separate reverb tank for it eventually. Anyway, thanks for your reply - I now feel much better about changing out the power cord!

Wes

Davedog Thu, 09/29/2005 - 06:38

This takes me back many many years. I've owned 3 Tremolux's in my time. A 61 blond 2-10 piggyback(with tilt legs and the screw-on head bracket) a 63 which was Oxblood grill,brown plate and white knobs with blond Tolex, and a 1960 which was a Tweed combo. I love them amps. I have seen transition ones with black Tolex, white knobs,brown plate and also several different combinations of this...

For the sound of a Tremolux played really loud and really well simply listen to the Blind Faith album. Theres a Tremolux on the cover too.

Great Buy! BTW I paid $250 for the Tweed in PERFECT condition........uh....oh yeah this was **** hundred years ago. :wink:

anonymous Thu, 09/29/2005 - 07:15

I hate you and want you to die.

Thanks McCheese. You'll always have a place in my heart :lol: By the way, are you still Mayor of McDonaldland or are you their recording engineer now? Are you responsible for the annoying "I'm lovin' it" music?

BTW I paid $250 for the Tweed in PERFECT condition........uh....oh yeah this was **** hundred years ago.

Ha Ha, that was a steal! Thanks for your help. I'll check out that Blind Faith album.

Wes

moonbaby Thu, 09/29/2005 - 09:57

I'm sure that the amp is worth the $1K. Make sure to keep the amp properly biased with those old tubes in it so that you don't ruin the output tranny. I used to work in a mom'n'pop music store in the late 70s and the stuff they sold when they closed up... :(
If you are looking for a reverb add-on, the Reverbamate (available off the Analogman website) is pretty good. I have a beige one hooked to my cream/blackface Princeton. It sounds almost as good as the reverb in my 68 Bandmaster Rev...And the cream Tolex matches the amp...real purdy!