Skip to main content

I am using the RMEconverters through an echo layla (sometimes the layla converters if I use more than 8 tracks) into Nuendo.

I switched over to 48k awhile back and I convinced myself that it was a worthwhile change, as it seemed that I could stack more tracks and the depth and detail of the mix seemed more enhanced.

Anyway, I have a tough time trying to get the files converted down to 44.1k for CD. So I am sorta considering going back to 44.1k for the basic tracks.

Comments

anonymous Thu, 11/06/2003 - 19:35

I think it means Your Mileage May Vary.

I have been getting similar advice so far. I think I may switch back to 44.1k.

What about mixing to 88.2, is there any chance that Nuendo could be using higher sample rates for internal processing and would take advantage of a 88.2 mix down? Or just upsampling prior to mastering?

mjones4th Fri, 11/07/2003 - 06:53

Originally posted by thedug:
I think it means Your Mileage May Vary.

I have been getting similar advice so far. I think I may switch back to 44.1k.

What about mixing to 88.2, is there any chance that Nuendo could be using higher sample rates for internal processing and would take advantage of a 88.2 mix down? Or just upsampling prior to mastering?

if your final result is 44.1, 88.2 is an excellent choice. Its gonna abuse your processor tho, you'll find that you have about 2/3 less computer power available with that move.

mjones4th Fri, 11/07/2003 - 10:41

Definitely not the same. When you set your sequencer to 88.2, a couple things happen. First, all new audio is recorded at this new sample rate. That means an audio track of the same length will take up twice as much hard disk space. Secondly, all effects, bus sends, and VSTi's are computed at the new sample rate. So you get higher quality all around.

And another benefit. Audio converters sound much clearer at higher sample rates. So the audio you record will sound better and the sound in your monitors will sound better. (even if you are monitoring a 44.1k composition) But it will chew your computer up and spit it out like this morning's pancake stuck between your teeth. So be prepared to adjust your working style or upgrade if you want to move to 88.2

anonymous Fri, 11/07/2003 - 10:50

You mis-understood me.

Is there a difference from rendering a 44.1k project striaght to 88.2 in Nuendo. File -> export audio mixdown. VERSUS mixing the 44.1k project to 44.1k in Nuendo. File -> export audio mixdown, then upsampling to 88.2.

Just curious if the Nuendo mix bus would take advantage of the fact that you are mixing to 88.2. Is that even possible?

x

User login