Skip to main content

24 bit @ 88.2
What is the storage requirements for 1 minute per track?

Topic Tags

Comments

Big K Mon, 03/07/2011 - 12:31

Quote audiokid:
You're kidding me? Lets rephrase that then. What you mean is : you are very careful to never go over Zero/ +1 on the DAW 2-bus (EVER!) To avoid digital zzz error you make sure you are on a constant watch from track one , two, three etc and are (tell me I'm wrong?) forced to pull faders down all the time to compensate for 2-bus overload? The greater the track count, the worse it is?I'm glad you do not have this problem but it is creating a lot of terrible sounding music. Rainer, Please be so kind to send me a track that you would be comfortable for me to test. One that you are certain cannot be improved in your studio and your equipment? AIFF or MP3 makes no difference to me. Gain is gain for this example. I would love to hear what you are doing now? I'm an optimist :)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for sacking me!!
I have been away for surgery of my knee for two week and when I came home from rehab, up north of Germany, I visited recording org only to see that I was kicked off the board of moderators.
Well, your decision… and it suits me more then you can imagine.

I have it up to here with your drivel and semi-knowledge that you keep shouting out like above quote and many other amateurish questions are proving all too well. It took me some time to recognize that you are by no means the person who is able to run RO as it should be done. With your constant presenting of products and the suspicious way in which you try to influence opinions, indirectly and rather directly, makes me believe that you are actually selling out, receiving benefits from manufacturers in return. Everybody knows that this is only possible, because of the great job the shrinking number of professionals / mods do. A job you could never handle by yourself. I just wished, you would treat your Staff accordingly.

This is too stupid. I do not want to be a part of this, anymore.

Good Day!!

Rainer Klaeger (Big K )

hueseph Mon, 03/07/2011 - 17:11

Math was not a good subject for me and the fact that I'm unsure of the formula just puts me in limbo so I had to find out. From what I can tell. 88.2kHz at 24 bit Mono is around 15MB per minute. Please correct me. I want to know the answer to this as well. It would also be nice if someone could explain the equation.

I think it's close. With those numbers a 5 minute song containing 24 tracks would be around 1.8GB.

Big K Mon, 03/07/2011 - 23:12

Depends if it is fast music above 144 bpm or speech like Shakespear's Hamlet ...
;-)

Math was more an obstacle to me than a subject, but you just can't get around it sometimes.
From my old book of wisdom, secret arts and forgotten magic:

Channel count x samplerate x bit rate x seconds
e.g.:
24 channels x 44,1 kHz x 16 bits x 55 minutes (3300 s)
24 x 44100 x 16 x 3300 =
55883520000 bits or 6985440000 Byte or 6821718.75 kB or 6661.834.. MB or 6.5056.. GB

BobRogers Tue, 03/08/2011 - 05:16

Hey, I'm on spring break around here, but I'm still on the job. Write the units of everything correctly and make sure they cancel to give you the quantity you are looking for.
For example:

(samples/second) x (bits/sample) = bits/second .... 88,200 (samples per second) x 24 (bits per sample ) = 2,116,800 (bits per second)

There are 8 bits per byte so we have to divide by that so the "bit" units cancel.

(bits/second) ÷ (bits/byte) = bytes/second ... 2,116,800 (bits per second) ÷ 8 (bits per byte) = 264,600 (bytes per second )

There are 60 seconds per minute so we multiply by that

(bytes/second) x (seconds/minute) = bytes/minute ... 264,600 (bytes per second) x 60 (seconds per minute) = 15,876,000 (bytes per minute)

Now divide by 1,024 bytes per KB or 1,048,576 bytes per MB or 1,073,741,824 bytes per GB to get it in your preferred storage units.

Big K Tue, 03/08/2011 - 05:32

Bits get devided by 8 to obtain Bytes, but from then on the devider is 1024 for kB, MB, GB... when you talk exact and binary depending data, e.g. for chips math....
The formula like 1 MB = 1000 kB is (new-isch) standart for data that is not necessarily connected to the binary system, e.g., harddrives...