Skip to main content

Hi,

I am trying to transfer songs recorded on the Yamaha P155 using a USB Storage device to a Macintosh computer. Unfortunately Yamaha mention the keyboard's documentation that to accomplish transferring songs between a computer and a P155 keyboard using a USB storage device one must install their "Musicsoft Donwload Software" which is only available for Windows PC.

Has anyone been able to successfully transfer songs between the P155 and a Macintosh using a USB Storage device? I have tried formatting the USB device using the P155 Keyboard and although I have been able to transfer songs to the device these are only recognized by the keyboard, not by the computer.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.

Comments

vttom Mon, 09/20/2010 - 07:50

I don't own one of these keyboards, but I poked around Yamaha's website, and it looks like you simply can't do what you want to do. It looks like Yamaha writes to the USB storage device in a proprietary format which can only be read with their MusicSoft utility, which is only written for WinTel PCs. Maybe you could run a PC emulator on your Mac?

anonymous Mon, 09/20/2010 - 09:51

vttom, post: 353976 wrote: Actually, I just got to thinking. If you simply want to back up the contents of the USB storage device onto the computer, then you should be able to plug it directly into the Mac and use Disk Utility to create an image of the USB device.

Thanks. I'll probably see if I can find a PC emulator.

anonymous Mon, 09/20/2010 - 10:14

Some good news: I tried a different USB storage device and now it works! I formatted a USB storage disk in the keyboard, saved a couple of songs to it and moved it to the Macintosh. There is a folder called USER FILES and inside that are the .MID files.

So apparently you CAN use a USB storage device with a Yamaha P155 and a Mac.