Skip to main content

I got the m-audio audiophile 2496 audio card...whenever i try to use it on Sonar, it says that there is a driver error! i have an audigy as well working at the same time. but that shouldnt be the problem. how can i fix this issue?

and...when i record using adobe audition or Cubase 3.0, the volume of the recordings are low...i checked the m-audio control panel's mixer, and its fine..the faders are all the way, but still the recording level is very low..how can i fix this? thanks in advance everyone.

Comments

0db Tue, 09/13/2005 - 05:29

"i have an audigy as well working at the same time"

I strongly recomend to disable/uninstall the audigy and re-install drivers for your audiophile 2496. Try to download the latest drivers from m-audio.

In the other hand, Sonar does work with ASIO drivers from version 3 and up, if i´m not wrong. Try to configure Sonar to use ASIO drivers with your card instead of DX or MMC drivers. They give you best performance, less latency.

The volume issue maybe the playback resolution is set for 24 bits, and when listening to 16 bits audio files, sounds quieter than it should. This can be corrected in the Audio Options in Sonar as well.

Good Luck
Juan

jonyoung Tue, 09/13/2005 - 07:10

I would also recommend disabling the Audigy card. Have you run a wave profile in Sonar so it recognizes the Audiophile drivers? Which drivers do you have for the Audiophile? There are several threads on this forum regarding the best driver versions to use with your new card. Also, in the settings panel with the Audiophile, there's an operating level setting, either -10db or "consumer" (why they call it that ,I don't know). Make sure you're set to consumer. It will allow the card to adjust input/output levels to the application being used.

Opus2000 Sun, 09/18/2005 - 18:55

First off how are you feeding the RCA inputs of the audio card? Since the Audiophile 2496 has RCA inputs it may be an imedance issue or simply the way you are feeding them...

Most likely you'll need to boost the gain of the source feeding the audio card to get more of a level...

Give us more information..

Opus :D

CoyoteTrax Sun, 09/18/2005 - 20:47

Jon's right, check in your Hardware panel for the 2496 and change the IN/OUT settings to Consumer, or better yet, -10; to compensate for what sounds like a low voltage input.

And like Opus said, it would be nice to know what gear you're patching into the soundcard. Proper Gain staging and matching impedence is the key so you've got the hottest signal and lowest noise ratio's possible.

Don't be afraid to push your signal into your software up to as far as +3dB or even a little hotter. Then you've got a nice strong signal to mix with later.