Skip to main content

I originally posted this as a follow-on to my 24i/o question, but decided this is a topic of its own. As my personal preference tends toward tracking through channel strips--and 8 channels at a time max, my thinking is moving away from the 24 i/o as a central hub to acquiring a Soundcraft LX7II/24, and using it in a split configuration with a 8x8 DAW interface.

So, here's my question...

Which of the following, in your personal or aneCDotal experience, has the best conversion and which has the best WinXP stability? (I use Sonar 3 Producer.)

- MAudio Delta 1010 (as frob mentioned in my other thread)
- Aardvark Aark24
- Aardvard Direct Pro Q10
- MOTU 828Mkii
- PreSonus FIREPOD (not the FireStation)
- Echo Layla 24/97 (probably available for a song with the 3G coming soon)
- Any others I haven't mentioned?

I've looked hard and longingly at the RME Fireface, but with a console in the picture, my interface budget is sub $700--unless there's a less expensive 24x4 split (or 16x4 inline solution sonically equivalent or better than the Soundcraft LX7II. (The rationale for the 4 groups+L/R is for future occasional 5.1 surround work) Yeah I know there are digital mixers that may put me in the same range as the LX7II+interface, but to me, life's too short and time's too precious for that learning curve.

Thanks

--Bob

Topic Tags

Comments

anonymous Thu, 08/26/2004 - 10:04

All the retailers that are selling it are only taking pre-orders right now. I just called zzounds--they're showing a September 15 date from Tascam, but recent history has shown the date has slipped several times from the original date, which was last May or April. It's been so long I don't remember. I haven't kept track since I sort of gave up on them.

--Bob

anonymous Wed, 09/15/2004 - 02:43

Hopefully you'll read my suggestion before buying anything silly and overpriced.

Which of the following, in your personal or anecdotal experience, has the best conversion and which has the best WinXP stability? (I use Sonar 3 Producer.)

You forgot to add this to your list:

RME MULTIFACE

I think it has the BEST stability and quality out of all the 8inx8out boxes you mentioned. I use it myself 8-) . And yes, you can get it for $700 or less used. In fact here's an ebay auction with 10 hours remaining...hopefully you can get it in time:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41784&item=3747307769&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW