Skip to main content

:P hi,everybody. this is my first post here.
Is there anyone here has compared Genelec 1031a & 8050a?
Aslo what about event asp8 to these two Genelec ?forget about the price.
Thanks a lot! cheers! 8-)

Comments

anonymous Sat, 08/14/2004 - 00:29

i have been listening to NS10M for 7 years , just for midi programming not for recording and mixing...since more and more recording and mixing will be done at home studio, i wanna a real good monitor .
I have listened Dyn audio & meyer sound. To me , they are too beautiful sounded and lack of the real breath of studio. The 1031a is ok but have the same question of NS10M , the bass part is not flat. And then the 8050a comes out and Event asp8. What about them ?
I have narrowed my choice on these 3. Help me :wink:

iznogood Sat, 08/14/2004 - 16:39

the new genelec series sounds even worse than the old one....

i heard a couple of them.... the replacements for 1030/1031..... there was nothing but bass ..... and a hole the size of the universe in the midrange.... i think they're drinking vodka again ..... and maybe listening to megadeth :twisted: :shock: :? :-? :!:

anonymous Fri, 11/12/2004 - 15:23

iznogood wrote: the new genelec series sounds even worse than the old one....

i heard a couple of them.... the replacements for 1030/1031..... there was nothing but bass ..... and a hole the size of the universe in the midrange.... i think they're drinking vodka again ..... and maybe listening to megadeth :twisted: :shock: :? :-? :!:

I know monitors are a personnal thing but I just bought the Genelec 8050A after A/B ing them along side the renound H+K 0300D. The Genelecs won hands down. The imaging is nothing short of stunning. As for the older model of Genelec I can only go by memeory. But to me the tops are smoother on the new Genelecs. I found the 8040A to have an exagerated bottom end but the mid was excellant. The 8050A is just sublime for the money and the bass is tight. Even though they are ported they dont exhibit the same wooliness ususally associated with that design. Here in the low end the H+K 0300D rule - but only just and they are twice as much. Personally I find the 8050A to be an improvement over the 1031's

Just my opinion!

PAul Blenn

Davedog Sat, 11/13/2004 - 00:33

Recently we finished our mixing in my friends room which has the 1031's in 5.1...as he is a dealer the 8050's showed up during our sessions and we got to A/B them on the same material.....The 8050's have refined what the 1031's had perfected and that was image of field without a really hyped signal...maybe its 'iznogood' thats downing the vodka....I LOVE THEM...but then , they both are great...the 8050 is just smoother and has a wider stereo field....I still track and do basic mixes on my 1029's and sub...I have a small room and they are exactly right for the room and translate every where.

iznogood Sat, 11/13/2004 - 17:35

or maybe i just listened to alot of hi-end gear since i was a kid so i know what a speaker sounds like when it's truly flat......

genelec have never produced a speaker with a flat response!

and i'm not talking taste here.... a violin is a violin... and a desent speaker should make it sound like a violin!

another thing is what you like to work on!!!

it's sometimes nice to have a colored speaker to inspire you while making music..... but if you try to mix or master on them you'll be fooled!!!

i wish that more people would realize that so we could have better sounding records....

by the way.... i love vodka! :twisted:

anonymous Sun, 11/14/2004 - 01:56

I think you'll find that a hell of a lot of excellant records have been made with Genelecs. Your previous coment about them having a hole the size of the universe in the mid range seems odd. It is true the Genelecs have a distinctive sound to them but mid range lacking they certainly are not. They are in fact a little more up front than normal. But it horses for courses. Personally I love the Genelecs and it appears a hell of a lot of talented engineers do also (though I dont lump myself in their bracket).

Just my opinion!

Paul Blenn

anonymous Sun, 11/14/2004 - 10:12

(First post here - just registered today. Hi everyone!)

Blenn wrote: I think you'll find that a hell of a lot of excellant records have been made with Genelecs. Your previous coment about them having a hole the size of the universe in the mid range seems odd. It is true the Genelecs have a distinctive sound to them but mid range lacking they certainly are not. They are in fact a little more up front than normal. But it horses for courses. Personally I love the Genelecs and it appears a hell of a lot of talented engineers do also (though I dont lump myself in their bracket).

I have to agree with both sides here - Genelec definitely make excellent monitors, especially the new series! I A/B'ed them with a pair of Dynaudios (which I have always liked a lot) and was pleasantly surprised! (Almost, but not quite, blown away.)

However, I've done a lot of tracking/mixing in 1031's and I definitely agree with the "hole in the mid"-statement. This is not necessarily a bad thing, it all comes down to personal preference. I, for one, don't find the 1031's very comfortable to work with for longer periods. On the other hand I know a lot of people who swear by their Genelecs.

As with (almost) all equipment it's all about personal taste - maybe even more so with Genelec.

Davedog Sun, 11/14/2004 - 13:34

Its real nice to hear theres folks out there with pristine ears and tastes dating back to their childhoods......And its true that at a certain level these discussions become a matter of preference combined with life experiences.To say that products such as Genelecs,Dunaudio,Westlakes,and many more are bad at this level is crappolla.This is where real defined audio lives and each to his own.Lots of really fine sounding records have been made on JBL 4311's and the like, lots have been made where the mixing engineer used NS-10's exclusively, my point being that at a certain level there is no bad,only preference. As for the mid-range hole in Genies.....Huh!??!I find for my mixes, leaving the mids alone and simply dialing any eq for separation is whats needed.Sometimes the sub needs to be dialed back a touch to keep out any false impressions but I find that working on ALL Genelecs, you need to approach it in much the same way as working on the NS10's, if it sounds really good then it probably is...I would agree that a classical recording of solo violin or cello would require a bit flatter response, possibly an ATC type of monitor, but chances are I and a lot of other engineers could make do on those crappy,midrangeyless,hole the size of the universe,1031A's....YMMV

anonymous Mon, 11/15/2004 - 06:16

Davedog wrote: Its real nice to hear theres folks out there with pristine ears and tastes dating back to their childhoods......And its true that at a certain level these discussions become a matter of preference combined with life experiences.To say that products such as Genelecs,Dunaudio,Westlakes,and many more are bad at this level is crappolla.This is where real defined audio lives and each to his own.Lots of really fine sounding records have been made on JBL 4311's and the like, lots have been made where the mixing engineer used NS-10's exclusively, my point being that at a certain level there is no bad,only preference. As for the mid-range hole in Genies.....Huh!??!I find for my mixes, leaving the mids alone and simply dialing any eq for separation is whats needed.Sometimes the sub needs to be dialed back a touch to keep out any false impressions but I find that working on ALL Genelecs, you need to approach it in much the same way as working on the NS10's, if it sounds really good then it probably is...I would agree that a classical recording of solo violin or cello would require a bit flatter response, possibly an ATC type of monitor, but chances are I and a lot of other engineers could make do on those crappy,midrangeyless,hole the size of the universe,1031A's....YMMV

Perfect! Could'nt have said it better

PAul Blenn

anonymous Tue, 11/16/2004 - 22:25

thanks a lot

:) 8-) :)
i have found the answer myself since i bought a pair of 8050a last month and done several mixes on them . They are pretty good. Bass tighter than 1031a and image is clear. I have done 2 songs mix on them and replayed it at a theater with JBL PA and on dynaudio and on yamaha ns10-m ,,the mix sounds pretty balanced and image is exactly correct. That is enough . The monitor is a monitor, nothing more. Mix on it and got the correct rezult , that is all. The personal taste is another thing. I think 95% of humanbeing has the ears. good luck to choose a correct monitor for yourself. and thank you very much for your opinoins ,great guys!!
if you are interested, i can send you my mix sessions. My MSN is sxjim@vip.sina.com

x

User login