Skip to main content

Okay, if I track my initial drum tracks at a recording studio, I can do the rest at home with merely an M-box. It might be nice to have more flexibility with the Digi 001 and I probably could afford to get both. The M-box with minimal latency sounds pretty cool.

Moreover, I suspect regardless of which way to go (or both), I need to get an outboard word clock and/or an outboard AD converter. I currently use a Rosetta when mixing to DAT. But I wonder if I ought to get a better one from all the talk on this forum.

Lastly, I probably will get the Distressor and FATSO. Any more requirements? :confused:

Topic Tags

Comments

anonymous Mon, 06/10/2002 - 05:34

Hmmm... some misinformation, there. Mbox has 24-bit converters & Focusrite mic pre's (which FWIW sound much better than the 001's no-name pre's). The 16-bit (& 44.1K) Sound Mgr (Mac) limitation referred to above pertains to only PT Free, not PT LE/Mbox.
No lie about the 2-in, 2-out limitation. And, Lightpipe I/O on the 001 can be handy, espec. if you fork out for a DigiMax pre (or have an ADAT lying around)!
Also be aware (not that this is a bad thing or espec. deceptive) that the "zero-latency" stuff is merely direct monitoring of the interface's input through its output - so it will be "dry". Any monitoring THROUGH PT mix evironment equals A/D/A convert delay (approx. 3 ms) plus whatever SW mix delay (also affected by CPU power, plugs, track count, etc.). This is true with PT/LE or any other host-based DAW (as opposed, say to TDM systems or other using dedicated DSP hardware).