Skip to main content

Hi i am running pro tools 003. i am having problems connecting hardware to use whilst mixing down tracks ie compressor! i have managed to get a signal to the compressor but i am not to sure how get it back and the best way to utilize it

Thanks

James

Comments

jammster Mon, 02/02/2009 - 09:12

Plus11,

Do you have an insert jack on your 003?

Typically you run a tip ring sleeve 1/4 inch cable into the insert.

The send is on the tip and the return is on the ring and sleeve is on the ground.
Check the back of your 003 for inserts on your mic pre.

You also need an insert cable, or make one yourself. They are very basic, I've made a bunch for my studio and saved $$

Happy recordings,
Bret

anonymous Mon, 02/02/2009 - 18:38

i think since the digi003 has no effects loop on it you cant do what your talking about.

the only way would probably be to basically "reamp" the signal through the compressor and record it on another track, going out from the output, into the compressor, and back into an input (just like everyone else said haha)

hueseph Mon, 02/02/2009 - 19:40

Plus11 wrote: yea i have tried using the inputs i.e comming out of protools using a hard ware insert but when i come back in i am having to record a seperate track so sort of makes it pointless as it is now a destructive insert (dam y cant i afford a nice big console running 24i/o of pro tools hd )

Thanks james

You don't need an overly expensive console. A big one yes but I would keep your eye out for a good used one. You're only going to be able to work with 48 tracks of audio max with PTLE anyway. At any rate, you might consider some good software options. The UAD-2 cards are supported in ProTools now so that's an option. There's also the Waves bundles. They are a little expensive but no more so than a decent compressor.

Edit: With the console you'd also need a D/A converter for your ADAT output. It could get expensive.