Skip to main content

I'm about to record some pieces for a calssical/acoustic duo (piano, double bass) and I was thinking about trying a pair of 414 TL II as a stereo pair; I know the mics but I have never used them in this position; I usually set up my main stereo pair in a ORTF pattern.
Any advices, or good/bad experiences?

Thanx :)

Topic Tags

Comments

KurtFoster Wed, 09/11/2002 - 09:30

The 414's are fine mics although they do exhibit a bit of a forward character as do most AKG's
IMO, AKG's are brighter and harder in the upper mids than Neumanns. While they will most likely sound great for the piano I'm not sure how they will work for the double bass. You didn't mention if you had any other mics. If you do you may want to try a different pair just to see if thay sound any better. U87's or U67's would be smoother sounding and a bit warmer for the lows. ..........Fats

lorenzo gerace Fri, 09/13/2002 - 01:21

Thanx for the replys

I just checked out the TL-II specs on the AKG's web site and they remark its bass extension, still they recommend the B-ULS over on the double bass: quite confusing. The thing that strikes me is that I've been involved in orchestra recording several times and the main engineers I was assisting used the 414 TL-II on cellos and double basses as standard mics.
Anyway I usually set up my main stereo pair (for this kind of duo recordings) about 5m from the players and 3 to 3.5 m high in an ORTF pattern, and supplement it with spot mics on the instruments, so the AKGs won't be my direct mics.
Last time I did a similar kind of recording I used a pair of Audix CX-111 as stereo pair (same stereo pattern), a 414 TL-II on double bass and another CX-111 on the piano: the results were really good, but this time I don't have the Audix available. I was thinking about getting a pair of AT 4040 to be used as spot mics.

Any insights?

P.S. : Ciao Rolando, strano per due italiani incontrarsi in un simile posto eh? :c: