Skip to main content

I'm putting together my first system with simplicity in mind. The M-Audio PCI based Omni/Delta 66 really appealed to me because of the minimal additional equipment required to make basic recordings. That said, the M-Audio Firewire 410 also looks interesting. Aside from the flexibility of using the Firewire 410 with different computers, these products appear similar in many respects.

Can I get opinions on the pros and cons of PCI verse Firewire interfaces and the differences between the PCI based Omni/Delta 66 and the Firewire 410?

Topic Tags

Comments

golli Sun, 09/21/2003 - 20:16

Well, I dont know about the M-Audio products but I know that the PCI based Digi 001, has less latency than the USB 2.0 based M-Box. And USB 2.0 delivers 480mb per second but Firewire delivers 400mb per second. But there are other factors such as chipset. Latency is the thing you would want to minimize.
Are you speaking of the M-Audio 24/96 Audiophile card??
If so it has the same converters as the MIA card from echo, wich is an exelent PCI card.
Anyway, good luck.

mjones4th Mon, 09/22/2003 - 06:24

PCI vs. Firewire is a good debate.

PCI gives better throughput than firewire. Its about 215MB/s vs. about 50MB/s (theoretical figures)

Firewire is perfect when you have two or three other PCI cards already, especially bus hogs like SCSI and ATA controllers.

PCI means your A/D and D/A converters are inside the computer, where they can pick up more noise from the power supply and other components.

The more professional audio cards have, to this point, tended to be PCI.

The Delta66 vs. FW410 debate is another all together. I have the delta, (for two years) and it excells in connectivity, having a built in hardware mixer, inserts, direct outs, etc. But its nothing that can't be done in software with the 410, unless you have a rack full of synths (but if you do, you already have a mixer).

If simplicity is your main goal, I would suggest you look into a card with fewer connections with higher quality. Maybe RME? More expensive, but definitely worth it.

In the end, you have to consider what you're going to be doing with the card. Do you have three or four hardware synths? (you need a mixer and more I/O) Do you use mainly software synths? (less I/O) Do you have hardware effects you want to keep? (More I/O) Do you multitrack? (more inputs) Or do you record one track at a time? (less inputs) Do you mix down to an external recorder like an analog reel to reel, or a DAT? (more outputs) Answer these with an eye to the future and you'll be on the right track to the perfect purchase. Also read reviews.

king mitz

mjones4th Mon, 09/22/2003 - 06:32

Also, all in one mixer/pre/converter boxes like the Delta/Omni, and FW410 are a great option for beginners, like I was two years ago. But in retrospect, I wish I had bought separate components, because then I could upgrade with ease.

For instance the Omni A/D/A converters are sub-par (I also heard the same about the DIGI001) and the 410 presumably has the same converters. And the Omni mic-preamps are very below average (and they should be the same pre's in the 410 as well).

When I have the money this is what I will buy: FMR RNP (preamp) (i already have the RNC compressor) RME Digi96/8 (soundcard/converter), and a small Mackie mixer. It will take these three pieces to replace my Delta/Omni at much more than the $400 I paid, but the sound quality will be light years better.

mitzel this plik