Skip to main content

Anyone here mono the frequencies below 260hz in a mix? Well, more like 100hz but that's the default setting in Sequoia.

Comments

audiokid Fri, 06/21/2013 - 09:02

I did this for the first time and was amazed how tight and focused the bass and kick became! Wow. I understand this was a necessity for mastering vinyl but wondered if ME still do this and if they find it to be a big plus/ trick of the trade per-say? So are you saying, assuming we don't have any phase issues, would you do this all the time?

audiokid Fri, 06/21/2013 - 10:51

In Sequoia, depending on M&S settings, I've noticed a few db lift in the bottom end when selecting this option. But its more like a focused LF lift. I've been experimenting with the Bricasti's hall verbs. I'm thinking of using one at the end of a master rather than as an insert so the large space reverb isn't effected from any LF mono option. I would then roll-off the LF on the Bricasti to taste and print. The sound is amazing.

audiokid Fri, 07/12/2013 - 13:18

Cool, thank you for clarifying Thomas because I'm doing this all the time now :)

Donny, Samplitude/Sequoia has this option. I was actually thinking about re mixing a song of yours that I did a while back to tighten up the bass. I think this would really kick ass.

See Stereo/Phase plug-ins or this is also automatically part of the master bus section.

Laurend Fri, 07/12/2013 - 14:17

audiokid, post: 405798 wrote: I did this for the first time and was amazed how tight and focused the bass and kick became! Wow. I understand this was a necessity for mastering vinyl but wondered if ME still do this and if they find it to be a big plus/ trick of the trade per-say? So are you saying, assuming we don't have any phase issues, would you do this all the time?

I simply never mono the bass because it's the best way to kill the space in a mix. Some may prefer impact to spaciousness. But 260Hz is a crazy high value for monoing.
Even vinyl don't need it except when searching for super hot level.
Early Lee Scratch Perry vinyls are some interesting examples where instruments are hard panned including the bass despite it's roots Reggea. Not to mention the Beatles in the hard panned department.

audiokid Fri, 07/12/2013 - 14:34

Hi Laurent

I agree, 260 is too high for me ( most of the time) so I go down to 125hz or there about and might only blend it half way mono. I like stereo bass but a mix is always punchier sounding, easier to control and seems to produces louder final mixes. I could change this concept but currently, if the bass is dead center and mono on the subs, the mix just sounds tighter. So many people in the remix department are phasing out the subs and it sounds weird to me. Never translates well on mass either. You don't find that?

audiokid Fri, 07/12/2013 - 15:06

Not necessarily at the end of a mix but, I admit you have much more ME experience than me so I could be way off.

Some people have so much going on that the only way I hear it improving is by mono the subs on the master. If I can mix a track, get deeper into it than stems, I will fix or tighten up the bass before it gets to the 2-bus and may never do it on the master. But still, I personally think mono bass sounds punchier dead center. I know its not wider but I tend to like the more focused subs.
The vox and majority of instruments are never down there anyway.
I especially like the kick in a mix done like this.

I realize some people would be choked hearing this done to their synths but I think thats more because they don't get the bigger picture. ?

Something else I might do is add a processor after the mono is set to re establish the stereo sub field in a gentle way. I'm finding there are a few ways to do this.