Skip to main content

Hello,,

I have to record 40 mono tracks at the same time on a G5, (SATA 7200trs/min drive). With MOTU and Dp.
I am wondering if the hard drive is fast enough.

Can someone tell me if the hard drive will be fast enough or if i have to do RAID, or has any other solution?

Can i do RAID 0 (software) on a G5, with both internal disks, as i have the system running on one of them?

Thanks.

Topic Tags

Comments

iznogood Thu, 09/15/2005 - 02:15

i've mixed protools sessions with 80+ tracks of 24/44.1 audio with no problems...... on an extra 7.200

"You think it would be more difficult using 24/96khz" .... of course..... it takes more than double the data amount of 44.1..... and yes 10.000 is faster than 7.200..... but the essential parameter here is throughput.....

btw.... NEVER use the OS disk for recording..... eventually it will slow down the computer..... buy a second internal 7.200 (or10.000) sata disk or an external firewire (800) raid/disk

Randyman... Fri, 09/16/2005 - 14:20

Most DAW applications will allow you to assign what tracks get recorded to which drive (I know Nuendo does this), so RAID and JBOD are not usually reqired if you REALLY need more bandwidth than a modern 7200 RPM HD can provide (not likely with only 40 tracks). Just assign 1/2 of your tracks to your E: drive, and half of the tracks to your F: drive (or whatever your drives are called). Then, back them up to a single drive so you have an archive that is "all inclusive".

:cool: