Skip to main content

Hello,

Any experiences with this mic in this config? I am particularly wanting to try mine in overhead position for drum kit, with a Soundelux U-99 as the M, and hoping it'll cure edginess I've sometimes found with condensers on cymbal-proud drummers.

Thanks in advance, and love this virtual community!

Jay
PlugHead Productions

Comments

anonymous Sun, 08/05/2001 - 16:36

Ive had excellent results using the Royer R-121 as the "Side" mic in an M/S configuration with a U87 in omni as the "Mid" mic.

The Royer was very detailed, and gave a great 3 dimensional image, and the high frequency punch came from the 87, where the Royer was rolled off, the other mic complemented very nicely.

I had great results using this configuration as a room, or front of kit pair - I haven't had enough experience doing M/S for overheads specifically to comment on that tho.

anonymous Tue, 08/14/2001 - 06:15

How about a KM184 as the "mid" microphone? I've used it (actually, it was before I bought the KM184 -- I used a Microtech Gefell M300, very similar) with a CAD E300 set to "figure 8". I'm looking forward to using my new Royer for the latter, but will be "stuck" with a KM184 (or TLM103) for the "mid" task. I've got a track planned for this that I may get to on Sunday, and if I do, I'll report back. It will be a live trio of acoustic guitar, vocal, and brushed snare.