Skip to main content

Are the new AKG K240s worth buying for quiet guitar and bass guitar practice?

Topic Tags

Comments

dvdhawk Tue, 01/10/2017 - 17:48

I have the K240 Studio phones, and I think they're really good sounding headphones. They're of a semi-open design, so there may be a little bleed out of the phones if you have them turned up and are recording near super-sensitive mics. They're not hyped in the bass, so if you like skull-rattling (inaccurate) bass response, they're probably not for you. For what you're describing I don't think you'll be disappointed. I often use mine for just that kind of thing - both guitar and bass. Check with your retailer and see if they take returns on headphones if you don't like them.

pb69 Tue, 01/10/2017 - 18:00

dvdhawk, post: 446501, member: 36047 wrote: I have the K240 Studio phones, and I think they're really good sounding headphones. They're of a semi-open design, so there may be a little bleed out of the phones if you have them turned up and are recording near super-sensitive mics. They're not hyped in the bass, so if you like skull-rattling (inaccurate) bass response, they're probably not for you. For what you're describing I don't think you'll be disappointed. I often use mine for just that kind of thing - both guitar and bass. Check with your retailer and see if they take returns on headphones if you don't like them.

Should durability be a concern?

dvdhawk Tue, 01/10/2017 - 19:42

They haven't really changed in any significant way over the years. Mine are probably 10-12 years old and through my own carelessness I flat-out broke this little part carrying them in a unprotected messenger bag. They were still usable, but for a few bucks I got the replacement part. And while I was ordering I replaced the ear pads after about 10 years due to the 'pleather' starting to crack. (never let anyone wearing hairspray use your headphones, it degrades just about every surface it touches). Again, the ear pads weren't unusable, but just slightly showing their age. I figured I might as well replace them while I was order parts. Treat yours well and they should last for a decades. If you break anything, the parts are available from any AKG dealer, or online from the more exceptional retailers like Full Compass. (to which I have no affiliation, other than as a customer)

x

User login