Skip to main content

Hey, I'm new to guitar recording. But I really want to start recording my own tunes. I'm not that great, but I can play good chords and tunes etc, so I was wondering.

Right now I have a $10.00 cable that I bought from Radio-Shack. It converts my guitar plug to a microphone size plug. Then I can plug my guitar or amp into my microphone slot in my Audigy2 soundcard on my computer. But the quality isn't that great on my computer. Especially when I use my amp or distortion.

1.) What kind of hardware can I get that's under $150 that will let me record quality guitar recordings or microphone recordings (if I ever decide to buy one)

2.) What kind of software is good to use to record with? Preferably one with the ability to layer different things. A friend recorded an entire song by himself. Just layered different things he recorded on itself.

3.) Is there some type of virtual-pedal software I can get? Something that will turn my clean guitar sound into something different?

THANKS SO MUCH!

Comments

Reggie Mon, 12/12/2005 - 06:14

If it is only guitar you are wanting to record, I would just get something like a POD (or the Behr*nger equiv.), plug your guitar into that, and plug from that into your Audigy LINE input. The mic input will destroy almost everything. The Audigy can record decent quality; you just have to feed it a good signal.

TeddyG Mon, 12/12/2005 - 08:59

You need to plug your guitar(Or anything EXCEPT maybe a microphone - some microphones) into the LINE INPUT of your soundcard. You MAY need some sort of "adapter", converter, whatever(?) to make your guitar "line" compatible. Look through the guitar catalogs/websites, or someone here will tell you just the gadget(Should cost very little.).

Indeed, "quality" is relevent, but if it can truly be had for $150 bucks, I have wasted thousands of dollars(Darn!)....

TG

CoyoteTrax Mon, 12/12/2005 - 09:13

Computer interface for guitar and vocals?

...with multiple effects?

...under $150?!

That's too easy. The new TonePort UX1 from Line 6.

Cakewalk makes a really cheap multitrack software app for guitarists called HomeStudio I think. It may be less than $100

But you should also have a basic multitrack application that comes with your soundcard. Maybe.

Reggie Mon, 12/12/2005 - 11:32

TeddyG wrote:

Indeed, "quality" is relevent, but if it can truly be had for $150 bucks, I have wasted thousands of dollars(Darn!)....

TG

'Tis possible you have. :wink:
If memory serves, the Audigy 2 converters are definitely workable; especially for this case. Just one stereo channel of course. And I didn't say it isn't a pain in the butt to record with, though....

TeddyG Mon, 12/12/2005 - 19:16

It has, indeed, been awhile since my last Creative Sound Blaster. Maybe they're wonderful now? I don't know..?

Alot of it depends on someone's idea of "quality", ey? Lots of people love .mp3's, 150 dollar "pro" condenser microphones and 75 dollar preamps to go with them, to be played through 200 dollar speakers including "sub" woofer. The 150 dollar Line 6, device seems like it would be a good match in such a system...

Quality is as quality does... If it's "quality" to you, fine.

Meanwhile, I'll stick with my Lynx, thankx... No pains, no butts.

TG

Calgary Mon, 12/12/2005 - 19:43

Yes the Auudigy 2's are a great starter card. They have a mic/guitar in with trim pot, OK drivers, and all sorts of other I/O plus soundfont support. Definitely a decent sounding card for a beginner. 8-)

I'd probably buy a used 1212m or similar and then use Audacity (with free plug-ins) if all I had was $150 to create a recording setup. 8-)

anonymous Thu, 02/09/2006 - 10:17

My advice:

get free software like n-track for now,

get a cheap preamp, like the art v3 tube preamp, its 100 in stores, cheaper on ebay

get a cheapo mic like the samson c01, like 50 on ebay.

stick the mic in front of your amp, you dont want to connect directly to your sound card, i mean you can, but its not the accepted way.

Tom Fodor Mon, 07/10/2006 - 04:24

Try this.

A Motu UltraLite and a Studio projects B1. Should get you started OK. Then download Krystal Audio Engine, and the Fish Fillets VST plugin collection. There are heaps of other free vst plugins you can use for "learning" how to tweak your tracks. Then you can start collecting Mics etc. This rig should alow you a little growing space. You are going to need something to monitor on too. Check out the smaller KRK's or EMEs active monitors. I have heard some good reports about all of the above. You may also want to have a look at the Tascam US-122 as a cheaper alternative. It comes with a Lite version of Cubase sx which is quite good to kick off with.

ecc83 Wed, 07/26/2006 - 12:40

cheap guitar interface

Hi I don't know if it is available over there but the KorgAX3G is a great bit of kit, sub £50.00. You will need a trs jack to 3.5 jack lead to connect to the pc. Start up software, Magix studio6 or higher£10.00! Or put in "audacity" in Google and download a V good sequencer for free.

I do not like SB's I keep blowing them up! The Audiphile2496 is only £50.00 and is miles too good for distorted axe.