Skip to main content

Hi all,
Looking for a new mic purchase primarily for vocal use. At the moment I'm stuck with a RODE NT1 and a CAD M179. They're ok but I'm ready to take the next step up. My current preamp is a Joemeek VCQ1, Mackie XDR, and i've just ordered the RNP & RNC combo.
My voice can be a bit husky and is somewhere between tenor and alto (i think). I was wondering if you guys would be able to help me out with mic selection. I would love to try these mics out but due to time constraints and difficulty in locating some of them in my area, I haven't had the chance to do so.
I've narrowed it down to three at the moment from the various forum comments and reviews,

AT4050
Shure KSM44
Baby Blue Bottle

With my current mic preamp's and my higher pitched voice which, would you recommend as my best bet?
Im doing this blindly, I know! Any comments greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Toti

Comments

anonymous Tue, 02/24/2004 - 00:58

Thanks AudioGaff. The AT4050 is definately the best bang for buck here, but im intrigued by the Shure KSM44 and the Baby has recieved indifferent reviews, which doesn't help. I think im gonna hav to listen to that one b4 i spend the bucks. The Blueberry also isn't out of the question but that'll be another $100 US on top of the KSM44 with less functionality. But then again this is primarily for a vocal mic, so top fidelity and not necessarily features is what im after.

anonymous Tue, 02/24/2004 - 16:43

You should consider the AT4040 as well. I haven't heard it only mag reviews and user reviews from people whose opinions I trust, including Steve at MOJO Pie (Ozraves).

Here's a plan I am currently considering (except I don't have the mics you have):

Ebay the NT1 and M179 to get another $250 in cash.

I see new AT4040 mics on ebay often at $250. Get one. Or another option would be a good vocal dynamic like the Shure SM7 ($300).

Spend your original $500 or so on one of the other mics you mentioned (the one that would best compliment the AT4040). I have seen KSM44s sell new with all accessories for $550 on ebay, BTW.

Any way you mix them, this plan gives you two excellent mics instead of one excellent mic and two not-as-good mics.

anonymous Wed, 02/25/2004 - 03:30

Thanks for all your comments guys. Today i got a chance to hear the 4050 and a KSM32 side by side. This place didn't have the KSM44 in stock.
The 4050 sounded very transparent and clean, maybe a bit thin, but they were being run through a Behringer 'Eurorack' preamp, enough said! The ksm32 appeared more coloured especially in the highs and lows, or maybe a drop in midrange, one or the other. Does someone know how the ksm44 compares to the 32? I still haven't heard the baby bottle, just can't find one around here! I might leave that for another purchase. So it's now between the 4050 and the ksm44.
Tough decision!
Toti.

anonymous Wed, 02/25/2004 - 11:56

I have a tenor voice as well. It's somewhat airy, but also clearer and more focused on higher pitches. I had the baby bottle for a while (not long enough to really see what it can fully do), but the little I used it I didn't care for it on my voice. It was too dark for my taste and I felt like it made my voice sound kind of stuffy. I returned it and later picked up an SP C1 I was able to get for a really good deal. I instantly loved it for my voice. Open, clear, not overly bright. The one thing I wish it had was a little more body, but the fact that I run it through the 001's pres is probably the problem there. I need to just pony up and buy that Great River darn it.

ILS

Guest Wed, 02/25/2004 - 14:43

Originally posted by toti:
Thanks again guys. I've just placed an order for the Shure KSM44. I think i will eventually get the AT 4050 or 4047SV as well!

The KSM44 and AT4050 are in the same category sound-wise. If you have one, you'd probably be better off getting a second (to have a pair) than getting the other (to get two similar sounding mics).

RaySolinski Thu, 02/26/2004 - 09:20

I just got a KSM 44 and I really like it...good on male vox and acoustic guitar...pretty neutral sounding and very flexible...I haven't heard the Blue but I have heard a 4050...similar sound but I think the 44 is a little flatter and...rounder? Is that actually a word :) ..there is a guy on ebay who routinely sells 44's for 515$ plus shipping brand new in the box..that is where I got mine with no regrets..just my .02 worth

Ray

Barkingdogstudios Thu, 02/26/2004 - 11:01

toti,

With respect to your question about how the 32 compares to the 44 there's a good review on the SHURE KSM line here:

http://www.acousticfingerstyle.com/ShureMicReview.htm

I have a 32 and am debating whether to buy another 32 or move up to a pair of 44's and sell or trade in the 32. I'll probably end up getting a pair of 44's and keeping the 32.

Cheers.

anonymous Sun, 02/29/2004 - 11:59

I know this is alittle late but i just got up today. I have a 4050 and a baby bottle. I have used the 4050 on vocals, acoustic guitar, acoustic bass, vocals, and drum ohead. It seems to work well on all of these things for me. The baby bottle I just can't get excited about. I,ve tried it on all of the above and on electric guitar. It works ok an acoustic bass and kinda of ok on guitar,IF ,you record in a good room. The baby bottle doesn't have very good rear isolation and hears alot more of the room than other mics I have. It also has ALOT of output. I don't know if that's good or bad.

anonymous Thu, 03/04/2004 - 11:19

To my ears, the ksm 44 is much more versatile than either the baby bottle or the 4050.

The 4050 is a harder sound, with less clarity in the lower midrange, and more of a tendency towards sibilance. It is still nice though. I know that sounds harsh, but in comparison to the 44 I think that is accurate.

The baby bottle and the 44 share something in that they are both natural sounding, but the 44 just has more depth, smoother highs, and it is multi-pattern of course. The omni mode kills.

anonymous Sun, 03/28/2004 - 03:57

:D Once again thanx to all for their advice!
What can i say, I love this mic!! It's smooth, transparent, versitile and virtually noiseless. It's so good at picking up room ambience, that i now need to attend to my room acoustics to fully utilize the potential of this mic.
Initally i was impressed but not totally blown away compared with the Rode NT1 and the CAD M179. But after some critical listening i noticed my room ambience with the Shure which i couldn't with the other mics. I also noticed nuances and extra detail and clarity which the Rode and the CAD mics muffled. I then realised i was dealing with two different levels of quality and the gap was substantial.
Partnered with the RNP/RNC this mic rocks, especially in omni mode.
I've only tried it on vocals so far, and lov it for my voice.

Cheers,
Toti