Skip to main content

Hello,

I found this site a couple of days ago and have been reading all the great info on the archives. What a great site! It has lots of info, kudos to the organizers.

I'm not sure if this question should go in the "budget" section, if so please advice.

My question is: what would be the best PC DAW that I can get for $600? (Not including sound card, software, mic preamp's, monitors, etc.)

I will be upgrading my home PC in a month or so (it's an old Emachines 566MHz that I have been using for the past 5 years or so). This will also be the home machine; I think I will implement some kind of dual boot.

Looking around, I found a (non-Emachines Brand Name) P4 3GHz / 915G / 512MB PC3200 for this price. I will most certainly buy some more RAM later, but this seems to be a reasonable machine to start.

My goal is to record some demos of my songs, nothing too fancy... yet. Probably start with Audacity + the onboard sound card, then buy some software and a better card later on. Then throw a Great River and a couple Neve's just for fun... :D

For $600, can I do better by going the build-it-yourself way? Again, I'm not expecting ultra-performance, just a machine to start experimenting.

So far for my home computer purchases in the last 10 years I always went the "state of the art from last year" route with relative success. However, I wasn't doing any recording on them. With a DAW, can you be 1 year behind and still have a semi-decent machine?

Any recommendations are welcome.

Thanks in advance!

Camino

Topic Tags

Comments

anonymous Wed, 01/26/2005 - 07:39

P4 3GHz / 915G / 512MB PC3200 for this price. I will most certainly buy some more RAM later, but this seems to be a reasonable machine to start.

Yes this should be adequate to start with. Upgrading RAM is a good idea for the future.

With a DAW, can you be 1 year behind and still have a semi-decent machine?

Certainly. I built my DAW over 18 months ago.....

If I can give you one single peice of advice it would be this: The PC you mention is capable of multitrack recording and running VST Instruments and FX. The first thing I would do though is get yourself an ASIO supported audio interface for recording then secondly a 2nd hard disk drive for recording your audio files to.

The biggest limitation for you is going to be using the onboard sound, so like I said look at replacing this first. There are many options that are PCI card, USB and Firewire based and some of these options won't put a huge hole in your pocket.

Good Luck

anonymous Mon, 01/31/2005 - 22:10

BladeSG wrote:

The biggest limitation for you is going to be using the onboard sound, so like I said look at replacing this first. There are many options that are PCI card, USB and Firewire based and some of these options won't put a huge hole in your pocket.

Thanks for the info. There are certainly a lot of choices when it comes to buying a pro-ish soundcard.

I will be entering one track at a time, so I was thinking of an Audiophile 2496 + some cheap Behringer mixer to get me started. Sounds reasonable?

Best,

Camino

x

User login