Skip to main content

just wondering if there's anyone out there who has upgraded from PTLE 5.33 to 6.1? i'm currently waiting for a copy from dealer (so frustrating that Digidesign only has 6.1 upgrades for OSX available for download online... how about all of us poor windows dogs! our broadband connections aren't good enough for them?)

anyway, would like a breakdown of the fixes and new features included in the upgrade... very curious and anxious to find out while i wait.

anyone with some experience here? what's goin on in this upgrade?

Comments

anonymous Mon, 09/29/2003 - 10:14

Digi sent me the 6.1 upgrade awhile ago, but I just did the upgrade about 2 weeks ago. My upgrade experience was glitch free. I also downloaded the 6.1.1 upgrade from their website, and installed that with no problems.

The biggest and most important new feature is more tracks. There are also now 32 levels of undo instead of 16, more included plugins, and a whole lot more. A full list is available in a document on their website:
http://www.digidesign.com/support/docs/Whats_New_in_6.1.pdf

Particularly the section: What’s New in Pro Tools 6.1 on Windows XP

Definitely worth the time and effort.

jdsdj98 Mon, 09/29/2003 - 10:56

I recently tried installing PT 6.1 on my digi001 and had some problems, and upon trying to re-install 5.3.1 to keep working on the projects I have going, lost ability to boot Windows.

My 5.3.1 system ran flawlessly, but 6.1 and 6.1.1 seemed to have some issues.

The entire computer would lock up when I hit record. This was the case when trying to record one track as an overdub in a multi-track session, trying to record multiple new tracks in a new session, or trying to record a single track in a new session. I tried several un-installs and re-installs and never could get around the problem. This problem initiated the attempted reversion to 5.3.1. I'm using an internal IDE 80g drive for audio, which has never given me a single problem under previous versions. Playback in 6.1 and 6.1.1 on existing sessions was fine.

I found the plug in meters to be jumpy, not smooth and accurate like the track meters, even though I was placing practically no load on the CPU through track or plug in counts.

Also, the new WaveDriver is not as functional as previous versions. I use Cool Edit Pro as a stereo, 2 track editor, and it (CEP) was unable to map through the digi001 hardware with the new WaveDriver installed. This was also the case with Real Player and a game that I have installed. The only third party application that was able to utilize digi001 as the default sound playback device was Windows Media Player, even with digi001 set as the system's default audio playback device, with the option enabled to use only default devices. Installing the ASIO driver instead provided no support for third party applications.

I've rebuilt that box as a dedicated internet/office machine (p4 2.4ghz, 768 meg RAM), and I'm about to build another PC dedicated to audio. I'm hoping that stripping all the bs out of XP will help matters. If not, I'll seriously consider checking out some Steinberg stuff..........

Has anyone else experienced this or other problems with the PT LE upgrade?

Sorry, don't mean to steer this one off topic, but my overall impression initially isn't too positive.

[ September 29, 2003, 01:13 PM: Message edited by: Jamie Smith ]

lorenzo gerace Mon, 09/29/2003 - 14:45

Hi

I'm still on 5.3.1, and I think I'll stay this way for a while, at least untill I'll upgrade to the 002Rack at the end of the year; I'm waiting to see how 6.1 evolves, and if the bugs are fixed; I cannot afford to have my machine (that now under 5.3.1 is running almost flawlessy) screwed in the middle of a session or project with clients looking over my shoulder (not a good feeling...); the only thing that I really hope they have fixed in 6 is the SPdif mirrorng bug that drove lots of PTLE users nuts; anyway the new features in 6 are too cool to pass on them and I'll upgrade in a few months, I'll just let the pioneers to sort the bugs out.

Cheers

L.G.

anonymous Tue, 09/30/2003 - 20:21

wow, just recieved and installed PTLE 6.1 and it runs great! lots of great new timesaving features too--click & efx plugs etc. can't get into the look of it yet tho. but the layout still makes sense. although i haven't had too much time to run it, it seems far more stable than previous version 5.3.3. ran a 20+ track session with tonnes of plugs and edits and not a single crash!

spkguitar i thought that 6.1.1 upgrade was just for digi 01/02 & 02 rack... this is my mobile rig, am using mbox, so should i bother with 6.1.1? i've heard that the asio driver has been improved upon in that release, but i only run pro tools at the moment. (will start getting into logic soon...)

cheerz - :c: