Skip to main content

Just wondering if anyone has experience with this unit and could tell me what you thought of it.

Topic Tags

Comments

llatht Sat, 03/13/2010 - 16:49

Well I went ahead and ordered it from Sweetwater. I've been reading all the reviews I can find on it and supposedly the preamps and converters on this thing are really, really good for this price range. There's also a very interesting thread that's been going on at Gearslutz for over a year about it.
(Dead Link Removed)
On a side note, this is the first time I've ordered from Sweetwater and I've gotta say I really like the service so far, and the free 2 year warranty. The salesperson actually knew what he was talking about too! I'm not used to that. I usually go to Guitar Center or Musicians Freind....and more often than not when I ask a question I get the blank stare, or they put me on hold and then read back to me what's on their product description. Anyway, I can't wait to try this unit out and hear it for myself. I'm also a Cubase user so the whole integration thing has got me excited as well.

ocdstudios Tue, 03/16/2010 - 21:20

what is the difference in the csx and the x besides $300? I would need two of these to get the required inputs. Also, anyone know how this would compare to Allen&Heath's firewire 16 channel board? I can live without the DSP effects - although the extra processing power would be nice...

Folks do speak highly of this things pre's and a/d conversion. I need more quality than what I've got now.

llatht Wed, 03/17/2010 - 13:21

The only difference is the CSX has one extra plugin, the channel morphing compressor. It does sound intriguing but I just shelled out a couple hundred bucks for my first Waves pack which has 3 compressors on it and I'm darn well gonna use 'em...lol.
There are people on that link I posted that have and use RME and Apogee gear too and are claiming that this thing beats that stuff hands down. I myself have only had experience recording with a Tascam FW1884, and an Apogee Duet. I haven't got to try out the 816x yet. In fact, it's on back-order for 2-3 weeks. I think Musicians friend has it in stock, but I'd rather wait and get the free 2 year warranty at Sweetwater.