Skip to main content

Can anyone tell me how to monitor the sound coming out of this card. It only has digital outs. Is there a way to monitor it with just my regular speaker set up I use with my 24/8 Mackie board. Thanks alot.
Nipp

Comments

Randyman... Wed, 01/12/2005 - 00:18

You will need either an ADAT style D/A converter, or a SPDIF style D/A converter to use the 96/52 for any kind of monitor feed. I have a RME AID-8 Pro, and it has 8 ADAT ins and 8 ADAT outs, so I can send 8 channels of analog audio into and out of my 96/36 with one unit.

An M-Audio Flying Cow (or simular) would allow 2 channels of analog in and analog out via the 96/52's SPDIF breakout cable for $400 or so.... The Behringer ADA-8000 is a cheap 8-channel ADAT in/out interface with 8 cheap mic pres and 8 analog outputs included for about $220. An Apogee or RME AD/DA may be $1500-$3000. Depends on budget.

In a pinch - If you have a digital effects processor or any peice of gear with a SPDIF input - even a home theater receiver (Optical or coaxial), you can feed the RME 96/52 into that unit, and bypass all effects processing on the unit, and plug your monitors into the effects unit's analog outputs. It should work, but the converters in most cheaper effects boxes are not that great.

Good luck! :D

Later :cool: