Skip to main content

I'm using a stereo pair of km185's. I was considering a Vintech 1272, a summit 200b, ... Any suggestions? What about that True Systems analog2? Please help if you've had great experiences with a dual preamp. Thanx 8-)

Comments

BROKENBONES Thu, 11/03/2005 - 17:11

the sebatron vmp-2000e is great on overheads. i use mine with the air switch engaged and pad set to -15db .
it seems to soften the transients of drums exceptionally well without affecting punch or energy .
i have used the deep switch when miking jazz drums from a reasonable distance ( live recording situation ) stuff other post eq would not necessarily bring out .

CoyoteTrax Sun, 11/06/2005 - 08:05

Personally I don't solder well enough to brave the complicated kits like the Hamptone or the Seventh Circle Audio pre's (i.e., N72).

But I do have friends that have braved it and the results are really impressive. I posted the Hamptone as a choice because you can order Scott's pre's already assembled and ready to go. The JFET is around $800 assembled and the Tube model is only $1,000 for 2 channels. The quality and tone of both his solid state and tube models are beautiful and hard to beat, especially at that price.

atlasproaudio Sun, 11/06/2005 - 12:09

One of my highest preferences for overheads are the OSA MP1-C's (called the "Vintage" model). They have a smooth "flat" top above 12k, but the mids in the 300-400 area are extremely clear and detailed. That frequency curve is unique to this preamp (the Great River NV is probably the closest thing to it in the mids). I prefer them to my Brent Averill API's, which are vintage units (mostly because of that low mid area which is often a problem area on overheads). FWIW, two C's and a TrackPack would be under $1500.