Skip to main content

Thank you for letting me post this question without a registration process. I am new to outside recording (but not studio recording) and wondered if a windshield for the Tascam DR-100 would be effective - Rycote make one as do Redhead windscreens, and maybe there are others as well.
When recording a town clock in Mallorca, even a gentle breeze made the recording unusable. Because I will use the outside recordings, usually slightly processed, to make the pre-recorded parts of concert works with instruments, the recording would need to have a clean sound.

Thank you for any advice or recommendations.

Topic Tags

Comments

RemyRAD Thu, 02/02/2012 - 20:44

You can obtain most any open cell foam to be used as a wind shield. You don't want a cellulose sponge, that's for sure. Some foams can be more restrictive than others. So to determine if it is adequate to use for recording purposes, just put it up to your mouth and blow into it. If it's easy to blow through, it's right for recording. If you find difficulty blowing through, it ain't right for recording purposes. So no memory foam is useful either since it's a completely closed cell foam. Nice to sleep on though. Not to think about it just to sleep on it. You might have to snip your piece of foam to make it fit over your microphones. And you will likely want plenty of it. The ZOOM H 4 actually provides a small foam wind sock covering designed for their unit. Making one of your own can be a lot of fun and you get a choice of colors. I like electric pink and neon green or blue myself. It seems to make my recordings so much more colorful sounding. Some foam pop filters I've purchased are actually tie-dyed colored and you may actually be able to just slip those over your device even if they are a drab gray color. Sam Ash music is where I purchased my tie-dyed foam pop filters years ago. They are awesome looking in videos. Although I also just love the bright purple one.

I base all my equipment purchases on the color of the front panels. No I don't, I lied about that.
Mx. Remy Ann David

RemyRAD Thu, 02/16/2012 - 19:09

You might also want to look into a solid blimp enclosure or even try some synthetic fake fur a.k.a. dead cat. These windscreens look a little like Star Trek Tribles. Thankfully they don't make that funky noise. But the fur makes for a great wind interference filter. And that will cost you all whole heck of a lot less than a commercial piece of stuff. So be a real audio engineer and fabricate what you need. That's what we all had to do back in the day a.k.a. Long ago. It's fun. It's creative. It's audio engineering at its basic best.

Why did the chicken cross the road? Because it knew how to do it.
Mx. Remy Ann David