Skip to main content

Hi, pros,
Whichis the best DAW in your hopinion for:

Sonic quality

User interface (simplicity, hergonomic, logical, complete)

Features (n. tracks, bit depth, PLUGINS, applications)

Thanks for your comments! ;)

Topic Tags

Comments

Opus2000 Wed, 04/24/2002 - 15:55

Oy...ok, when you mean DAW do you mean just the PC? The PC and the Audio Card? Just the Audio card and software? What?
Each one of us will tell you different things...please try and narrow this topic down just a little bit to give us more of a clue what type of answer you are looking for.
Opus :roll:

Opus2000 Sat, 04/27/2002 - 16:37

I'm a bit confused by your statement that only high track count DAW's can only happen on Mac's? That's not true if that's what you meant...I know people doing 100+ tracks on a PC Nuendo system...just need SCSI and you're all set to go!

Best sounding DAW...here's the ultimate package that has tons of people turning their heads.
[[url=http://[/URL]="http://www.nativeto…"]Native Tools[/]="http://www.nativeto…"]Native Tools[/]
That and getting a custom built PC is what you need. The Apogee converters are very nice sounding alongside the RME low latency operation it allows. Nuendo is really transparent and people often say Pro Tools has a sound to it that is just not pleasing but it's the only pro platform that does what people need it to...but now there's Nuendo and that will be even better by the end of this year!
That is a killer system...also depends on how many ins and outs you want. You wanted to know my opinion and well, I gave it to ya :D lol
Opus

knightfly Sat, 04/27/2002 - 19:41

Opus, I think what Joy4U meant was, of all the high track count DAW's that will run on a Mac, which is the best sounding? (That's the end of MY help here, to me a Mac is something you ask for extra onions on...)

Opus, pleeze give the man a list of Digital Audio Programs/hardware that will run on a Mac, tell him which one people swear at/by the least/most, and next time pay attention... :=) (hehehe, I love it when I kin zing da king, so to speak)

Opus2000 Sat, 04/27/2002 - 21:15

Ah..my most humble apologies!! :D
On a Mac...Pro Tools, Logic...Digital Performer is not the "pro" platform but can handle large amounts of tracks, Nuendo
Best sounding right now would be Nuendo, Logic, Pro Tools and than Digital Performer.
Nuendo wasn't working on the Mac for a while due to a Quick Time Exchange setting! Now it's doing pretty well..heard a guy did 104 tracks with 84 plugins on a Dual 400 machine!
Logic is good but a very very steep learning curve..yeah there's learning curves with everything but this program will drive you batty while trying to learn it.
Pro Tools is, well, Pro Tools, the most expensive one of em all since you "need" their hardware to run it. Pro Tools is the most widely used system since it works and works well. Pro Tools has been out for a long time and knows what the pro market needs since it's been down that road.
Nuendo 2.0 as stated earlier will be out late this year and is going to finally truly rival Pro Tools!
One thing to note...The PC version of Nuendo is faster than the Mac version....
Opus

anonymous Sat, 04/27/2002 - 21:42

Hi Opus,

I'm a novice - was considering DP3 to sweeten my finalcutpro audio tracks and maybe hook up a softsynth and get into some midi stuff. I'm wondering why you placed DP below the other platforms - where is it that DP falls behind? Would DP be a step up from Pro Tools LE?

Much appreciated

Opus2000 Sun, 04/28/2002 - 07:24

Hey Asylum
To me DP is a toy software, I dont like it's editing features nor do I like it's overlook..it's not smooth sounding to me...It's clunky and awkward to work in..the reason I put it on the bottom of the list is because I see it as a MIDI play toy than an audio work station..You have to tell it how many tracks you want to work with, what type of features you want, the mixer is annoying, automation is wierd...etc etc etc...
Anything is a step up from Pro Tools LE!! Anything that allows more than 24 tracks is a step up from LE!!!
Again, this is only my opinion. Having worked on just about all the programs out there(even the Red system which SOS talks about!) I see DP as not being serious enough.
Opus

anonymous Mon, 04/29/2002 - 02:28

Well, I must say not anything is a step UP from PT LE if you can get more than 24trk. If you plan to use your DAW to make money, recording, creating, etc, you should try anything that won´t crash on you, anything that you can trust, because when you have customers inside your control room, paying for your time, they won´t like to hear you saying ´hold on a minute, I need to re-start the computer one more time´ :)
That´s the reason I´m testing audio apps for almos a year now, trying to get rid of PT LE and I just can´t...
I like DP 3, but it is very, very buggy when using it on a dual mac with Digi 001.
As said before, Logic is not THAT logic, and Nuendo, when I tried it, wasn´t working at all...

Opus2000 Mon, 04/29/2002 - 07:02

Well, Nuendo is now working on a Mac. It turned out to be a Quicktime Exchange setting..simply turn that off and Nuendo is now good to go! As far as OS X version, well, any Mac head knows that the Core Audio of OS X aint there yet!

Yes, DP is always buggy...no matter what version it is!! lol

Bert...soundscape is cool but to be honest..I havent found it to be user friendly yet..I havent gotten too indepth on it but will be today!
Opus

anonymous Tue, 04/30/2002 - 14:12

Thanks to all, i asked because i already have a DAW, but even if its the most logical, it sounds not enough good to me. It's Pro Tools Mix+ + Apogee.

I spent a lot of money, it's a great concept, but there is something in the sound i cannot love...

NOW THE CRUCIAL QUESTION IS:It's just a digital issue or it's Pro Tools itself, and some other DAW can sound better???????

Opus2000 Tue, 04/30/2002 - 15:03

Yes...Nuendo sounds better....I have been involved with a few different listening tests and hands down everyone has chosen the Apogee Nuendo path vs the Pro Tools Apogee path..
Also remember I have been involved with the Beach Boys remix..involved in that he is using my computer and my Nuendo software(at the moment as he just got his version finally!) etc etc..
I can tell you the tracks sound amazing! Even Mark had said this is the best they have ever sounded! Now that is a statement in itself!
Opus

SonOfSmawg Wed, 05/01/2002 - 17:11

Hehehe ... you live in LA, I live in Pahrump. If you ever saw Pahrump, YOU'd be jealous! Speaking of that ... when are you coming for a visit? I'm a 5 hour drive from Lala land, and it's only about an hour to Las Vegas from here!
The only thing I'm jealous about is that you're getting to work on a Soundscape system! Maybe you could get the R.ed system "lost in the shuffle" for me! Ahhh, come on ... insurance will cover it!

x

User login