Skip to main content

I record without a board direcly into two Aardvark Q10's into Sonar 2.2 XL.

I have some nice compressors I can use later in mix down, but I just bought my first outboard compressor, a NADY CL-5000.

Would anyone be willing to share some pointers on how to get started using it for two applications:

1. Bass Guitar recorded DI
2. Vocals

I understand that I do not want to over do it, I am just looking to even out the very hottest parts of a track, during tracking.

Just looking for some simple suggestions on ratios, attack, sustain, hard/soft knee settings for starting out.

Thanks in advance.

Jim

Comments

tripnek Tue, 08/05/2003 - 09:16

I've never used a Nady compressor, but as with the other Nady stuff I've seen, I imagine it's not going to have the best quality sound. So go easy with it. I would start with the ratio around 3:1 for Vocs and 5:1 for Bass. Set the attack and release times short or to auto. Have the singer/bass player start the song and set the threshold to where the compressor GR meter shows little or no gain reduction at all on the normal/average vocal/bass notes. This will keep signal degridation from the comp to a minimum. But when the Voc/Bass hit a louder note it will compress it harder. Then listen to the louder notes that the compressor works on the most. Make sure the compressor isn't hurting the sound of the Bass/voc. If it is, turn the ratio down a little. If it's not you may be able to turn the ratio up some. Just don't kill your sound. You can compress more at mixdown if nedded.