Skip to main content

Hey, I realize the R121 needs plenty 'o' juice to be happy.

I've been pairing it with an AMEK 9098 pre/eq (up to 72db gain).

I've noticed w/drums & loud guitars (if up there in volume) I don't need the higher gain so much.

Would you recommend using the high gain pre only when needed? And anything goes for louder stuff? I've also got an Avalon 737sp and some Manley pre's to fool around with.

Any noted 'favorite combos'?

Are there some 'magic' pre's that the mic loves?

Thanks in advance.

Topic Tags

Comments

Guest Sat, 06/09/2001 - 14:53

Originally posted by MMazurek:
Hey, I realize the R121 needs plenty 'o' juice to be happy.

Not necessarily.

I've been pairing it with an Amek 9098 pre/eq (up to 72db gain).

I assume you've been pleased with the results.

I've noticed w/drums & loud guitars (if up there in volume) I don't need the higher gain so much.

They're often "louder source" instruments, which cause the ribbon to move more, which creates a higher output from the microphone.

Would you recommend using the high gain pre only when needed??? And anything goes for louder stuff??? I've also got an Avalon 737sp and some Manley pre's to fool around with.

I'd recommend using whatever mic amp the mic sounds best with at any given moment. Often things like the Manley 40db mic pre won't have enough gain to bring the level to where you would like it to be, but will sound awesome. If you add another gain stage [preferably one that sounds pretty good] you can compensate for the low output of the mic-amp.

On more than one occasion I've used things like an Empirical Labs EL-8 on 1:1 with zero gain reduction showing on the meters, but the output cranked to get the level I was looking to achieve. There are as many ways to accomplish this as there are units with gain on the market.

Any noted 'favorite combos'???

Are there some 'magic' pre's that the mic loves???

Risking this looking like a "product plug"...the R-121 was one of the main mics I used when checking out the various prototypes of the Great River MP-2NV...it's a pretty special combination.

MMazurek Sat, 06/09/2001 - 16:15

Thanks for the help.

I've been VERY pleased w/ the 9098, but sometimes they're used up on something else when tracking (only 2). Just trying to juggle all the gear on each session to be the most it can be.

I'll check out the Great River, but I need that new Lucid converter first...then that Fatso....etc,etc,etc...

I'll try the Distressor as a gain adder also. I've got em patched in between the 9098's pre's and eq's right now and I'm lovin the combo. Lots 'o' options/sounds.

As always, thank you.
You are a godsend to the gear pimpin industry.

x

User login