Skip to main content

I have a pair of Kiwis and Gefell m930s that I am happy to have. HOWEVER, I would like to expand the mic selection with one more mic that would be great on male/female (at least 50% of the time) and great on flute. Rich, smooth but not muddy, especially because it will be in a big mix. Also, if it would be good as a third mic on piano bass, that would not bother me at all! THANKS

Topic Tags

Comments

John Stafford Tue, 02/08/2005 - 23:10

At the risk of being laughed off the site, I think the AT4060 would be worth a try. It's great on vocals, and piano bass. It's not at all muddy and is very rich sounding. It's I think elegant and understated could also describe it, and the top end belies its price. It's way below your budget of course, and one possible drawback is that it's not mlti-pattern.

Come to think of it....isn't the Brauner VM-1 around $4000?

John Stafford

Guest Wed, 02/09/2005 - 05:25

My 3 favorites in the under $4k weight class [in no particular order]... the Microtech Gefell UM-92.1... the Soundelux E-49 and the Soundelux E-47.

They all have a different character and depth which could be appropriate or inappropriate for what you're trying to accomplish. This will depend on your goals and your sense of aesthetic. Unfortunately, there is no "best" when it comes to any of this so it will be up to you to audition a few of these and make the final determination of what unit will best address your requirements.

Best of luck with the search.

cruisemates Sun, 02/13/2005 - 08:42

You can get the Neumann U-67 for about $4000. Mine is a 1961 vintage, looks like an U87 except it is all tube. It was designed to be the vocal alternative to the U-47, just slightly less boomy. I love it. You can still find the vintage EF86 telefunken tubes on the web for about $60.

From an article: 12 mics that changed history: http://www.vintageking.com/12mics.htm

In 1960, Neumann decided to update the U47 with the U67, which was originally called the U60 but later re-designated to indicate its ties to the U47. The U67 capsule design was switched from PVC to Mylar film, and a tensioning ring with screws (rather than glue) secured the membrane. Longstanding problems of proximity effect and overload during close work were resolved with a clever internal 40Hz cutoff filter and an amplifier pad switch allowing the choice of close-up or distant use. A three-pattern switch was added for extra versatility. An effort to minimize capsule resonance was made with a new tapered capsule windscreen, and the modern EF 86 tube allowed for a more streamlined, tapered body design. This particular shape remains not only in Neumann's line of microphones, but other lines of competing microphones today.