Skip to main content

I am looking to upgrade to a better quality microphone to record acoustic rock and alternative vocals. However, I am looking to stay within the $250-450 range. What are people's suggestions of some good mics. I am looking for a mic that records good clear vocals. I want something that really captures the vocal performance not the extra noise in the background (in my untreated room).

Comments

RemyRAD Sat, 07/23/2011 - 08:00

Yup yup, hands down, those dynamics. From 7 to 20 to 421 and beyond. Of course you can also get away with a SM58 and tell everybody it's a 7b. They'll never know. Just tell them you didn't turn the base switch off and you just left the presence switch on. Just make your distance from the 58 at least 1 fist in distance from your mouth and it will sound like a 7b. Any closer and it will sound like a 58. Dynamic microphones are slightly bandwidth limited in comparison to their condenser cousins who are sensitive to all of the trash you don't want. And the higher output of condenser microphones generally means that beginners will over gain the preamp causing lousy headroom & peak distortion situations. Dynamics have less output level and so are more goof proof. There you have it!

Dr. Howard Dr. Fine Dr. Howard
Mx. Remy Ann David

BobRogers Sat, 07/23/2011 - 08:08

RemyRAD, post: 374373 wrote: ... And the higher output of condenser microphones generally means that beginners will over gain the preamp causing lousy headroom & peak distortion situations. Dynamics have less output level and so are more goof proof. There you have it!...

Quite right. On the other hand, the corresponding beginner mistake with dynamics is to drive your beginner preamps too hard. Better to live with the low level. The noise floor is better than the distortion of a hard driven cheap pre. Record low. Embrace the headroom.