Skip to main content

So I am looking for a good, warm, vocal recording mic for under 300 or so. Any recommendations? might also use it for acoustic guitar, irish whistle and bouzouki for adding tracks

Comments

Davedog Wed, 10/31/2007 - 16:10

For 300 bucks you might get "good", or maybe "warm"....Theres only a couple of 'condensers' at that price that'll get you close and some of their performance will hinge upon what you're recording into and your skills as an engineer. Most mic builders these days seem to want to voice a bit of a hyped upper mids bump and a bit more in the highs. Maybe they think this is what 'air' sounds like.

So I have two recommendations. One: ADK Hamburg or the Vienna.

Two: Heil PR40...note: NOT a condenser mic at all.

Since this is your first post, I suggest you use the search function here for WAY more info than I could ever give...............

BobRogers Wed, 10/31/2007 - 16:58

Exactly what do you want this mic to do that an SM58 0r 57 (etc., etc.) can't do.? To me, these cheap dynamics are what I think of when I say "warm." I don't sing much, but for someone with a limited baritone range they are very flattering. Brings out my inner Johnny Cash. I assume you are looking for something different, but is "warm" the right way to describe it?

I guess I am saying, have you looked seriously at all of the dynamic mics. The best dynamics go for the price of the cheap condensers. Think about it. You can get a EV RE-20 vs.a Chinese condenser. WWBWD (What woudl Barry White Do?)

TheFraz Wed, 10/31/2007 - 19:54

I love my AT 4040, but warm is not a quality i would use to describe it. bright and detailed would first come to mind. But its a great mic for the price. But if you want "warm" i would get something that dulls out in the high end, like a dynamic.

I highly enjoy the SM7b, perhaps a bit more then you want to spend, but its a great dynamic mic, with plenty of great uses. Its my go to mic for when i want nice clean guitar amp tones.

RemyRAD Wed, 10/31/2007 - 23:04

Yeah, warm as in RIBBON microphones. Cascade advertises here at Recording.org whose microphones were demonstrated at the New York AES. One of the least expensive is $160 so you get a pair for 300. But my math isn't good, obviously.

You get that classic ribbon sound with just the kind of warmth you're looking for. Great Bang for the buck.

Like the other guys recommended here, don't go with a cheap condenser microphone. You already have one and you know what they sound like.

The Electro-Voice RE 20 and the Shure Beta 52, SM 7 along with the AKG D-112 would be my next grab at. Smooth sounding dynamics which all sound lovely into a quality preamp.

Ribbon crazy broad
Ms. Remy Ann David

TVPostSound Thu, 11/01/2007 - 08:33

I have been using a stage mic (Shure SM58) for recording my vocals thru an M-audio USB interface to the PC.

Open the SM58 up, remove the transformer, and you now have a rounder mic. Boxiness is gone, highs are smoother. Still has the "Shure" sound.
Granted you will lose 10dBs of gain, a decent pre will make up for it.
I did that with one of my 58s.

The other option is replacing the xformer with a T58 xformer from TAB Funkenwerks, only $75!! Did that with another 58!!

http://www.tab-funkenwerk.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/t58specs.pdf

anonymous Thu, 11/01/2007 - 12:45

Please consider the new mics on the block a ST55 Class A FET Condenser Mic ! My god what a beauty for how much ? under 300 by far
STERLING AUDIO love this thing love it come get the rest of my cheap collection listen! before you buy http://www.studioreviews.com/telefunken-ak47-m16-review.htm you have to read this before... by the way the expensive company busted is now offering a upgrade thats twice as much to slove the problem of being a mic made by them?