Skip to main content

I'd really be interested in what they sound like.

Comments

EricWatkins Sat, 10/13/2007 - 10:26

Yes I've used the search function and googled it. Just looking for info. If that is out of line in this forum, I'll be glad to not post anymore. I realize that I need to hear these products before I buy and eventually I will. However, in order to go listen to these products, I'll have to drive probably 8 hours one way and I'm not going to do that until I have all the money I need so I can buy it while I'm there. Meanwhile, I've got a childlike enthusiasm about finding my way to the gear I want and you almost sound borderline irritated by my questions.

If anyone has anything productive to add to the thread, I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks.

Eric

anonymous Fri, 10/19/2007 - 21:36

I just bought a 4110, so I'll give you my 2 cents after a week of owning it.
I've used it only for vocals.

The nice thing about this unit is the 3 way shape switch. It does produce very noticable variations in the sound. As advertised, in the Modern setting, it's a very clean sound. In the Vintage setting, the sound becomes more aggressive, where the dynamics of the signal kind of jump out at you. Gives the sound a very nice "edge". On the Saturate setting, the "edge" remains, but it definitely sounds like a limiter has been patched into the signal. You'll have to increase the gain on this setting to compensate for that limiting, but if you're looking for an aggressive sound where the dynamics are tamed, that's what you get on this setting.

What's also really nice about this unit is that it works equally well on line level signals. So if I use one of my other preamps for recording, I can still add the color of the Vintage or Saturate shape later by running the recorded signal back through this unit at line level. As such, I see this unit as like (A) 3 different sounding preamps, plus (B) a post-recording processor with 3 distinct "tone" flavors.

I have a lot of other preamps, including Voxbox, Studio Electronics Pre2 (neve 1272 clone), Demeter VTMP-2, UA 6176, Presonus ADL600 and API 512c. Even with that selection of preamps available to me, I thought the 4110 was worth adding because of it's "clean" setting (my other pres are more colored), it's unique shape switch and the line level processing.