Skip to main content

I know that my subject sounds impossible, and it is...but I'm looking for a pair of small diaphragm condensers (cardioid) that can produce a similar flavor to the 4011's in a budget of $500-700.

The application will mainly be acoustic guitar. I've enjoyed the sounds of those who have used these to record in the past. I have Shure SM81s and RODE NT5s, and while I get great use out of these, I'm wondering if there's a similarly priced pair that can get me a little closer to the 4011 sound.

Anyone?

Thanks

Topic Tags

Comments

anonymous Mon, 09/19/2005 - 07:32

It's pretty logical that NOTHING will be a 4011 but a 4011...and it's understood that I fathom that (hence my introduction). I'll be using these for acoustic guitars and some overheads if need be. I currently have Rode NT5s which handle 15dB less and I haven't noticed any problem yet. I've also got Shure SM-81s which handle 12dB less, and still no issues.

I'm not using these things on electric guitars, or kick drums...so the SPL really isn't going to be pushed that hard.

Seems like it's hard to get any answers to my question...people latch on to keywords and think they are suffiently providing help without reading the entire posting.

iznogood Mon, 09/19/2005 - 10:06

i read your post.... i was just trying to say that the good thing is that you CAN use it for other (louder) puposes with equally excellent results....

so to answer your original question "I'm wondering if there's a similarly priced pair that can get me a little closer to the 4011 sound. "

no! .......

anonymous Mon, 09/19/2005 - 14:47

I have a hard time believing that. Coming from a background of helping piece together a custom guitar amplifier, and many electric guitars I know that there are plenty of tonal factors in one product. There has to be tonal characteristics of other lesser quality mics that are built on similar principles and stylings...Sure they may not be able withstand the same SPL, or it may not include this or that capsule, but there are plent of factors that contribute to an overall tone. I'm after those similar tonal characterstics. Being that my main use is acoustic guitar, something like the SPL isn't as big of a factor as the others.

anonymous Fri, 09/23/2005 - 22:37

There has to be tonal characteristics of other lesser quality mics that are built on similar principles and stylings...Sure they may not be able withstand the same SPL, or it may not include this or that capsule, but there are plent of factors that contribute to an overall tone. I'm after those similar tonal characterstics.

Sure, you can find cheaper microphones with some of the same characteristics, but it's the combination of characteristics that make the DPA microphones what they are. What exactly is it about them that you like?

-Duardo

Cucco Tue, 09/27/2005 - 05:13

And the guys at Cascade (Frank R. and company) are GREAT to work with!

Here's a list of "Cheap" Cardioids (Cheap in my book - anything less than Schoeps/Neumann/Gefell price range) that I wouldn't mind using in the studio. Some are within your price range, some are not.

*The BeyerDynamics are fine mics (most of their range...)
*Audio Technica 4041/4051/3528(or newer 3031 - I know, these are "cheap pieces of junk." Not so, for the money, they are great cardioid condensers. I wouldn't use them over a great orchestra, but for just about anything else, they're great!)
*Josephson's - amazing mics - great price
*THE microphones. A tad pricey, but not awful.
*MBHO - poor man's schoeps. Good, but not great.
*Sennheiser K6 series - no where near the same sound as their flagships, but this isn't necessarily a bad thing. The K6 line sounds great and is a good price. Far more clinical than the MKH line.
*AKG 451 and Blue Line - the blue lines can be found pretty cheap sometimes and they are excellent mics. IMO, this is the most valuable series of mics AKG makes - far better than their x000 line.
*Audix SCX 1 (or SCX 25 though not an SDC, it is small) - drop me a line if you're interested in these (off forum please).

Bear this in mind - none of these mics will sound like the 4011. However, many of them will sound phenomenal in their own rights. As well, the mic is only one small component of the makeup of a recorded sound. So much more goes into getting a clean, accurate, pleasing sound.

In other words, don't look for a budget 4011 - look for a mic in your price range that sounds great to you and go from there!

J.