Skip to main content

how shoul di conect the Digidesign 888 interface to my g4 laptop? the interface has a pci cable same as the 192 i/o interface but i dotn no how to conect it. is there a pci/firewire converter or external pci card i could get?

Topic Tags

Comments

anonymous Fri, 02/11/2005 - 08:10

As far as I know, as OddsAre said, you have to have a Digi core PCI card to utilize your 888. All of Digi's recording solutions are proprietary, no third parties allowed. Further, PCI cards don't fit into laptops, the Digi cards are almost as big as your laptop, so i'f you're going to use this system you'll have to take advantage of something like this. http://www.mobl.com/expansion/pci/2slot/index.html
It accepts PCI cards and comes with a card bus adapter to connect to your laptop.

anonymous Fri, 02/11/2005 - 08:12

As far as I know, as OddsAre said, you have to have a Digi core PCI card to utilize your 888. All of Digi's recording solutions are proprietary, no third parties allowed. Further, PCI cards don't fit into laptops, the Digi cards are almost as big as your laptop, so i'f you're going to use this system you'll have to take advantage of something like this. http://www.mobl.com/expansion/pci/2slot/index.html
It accepts PCI cards and comes with a card bus adapter to connect to your laptop.

sdevino Fri, 02/11/2005 - 10:12

If you want to use Protools without a PCI card you need to buy an LE system (mbox or 002). The 888, 882, 1622, ADATi/o all require a core card. BTW these are all old technology and Core cards are typically less than $2k on ebay.

Then you will need to get a legitimate software license in order to run the whole thing.

Steve

richard.conrad Tue, 03/01/2005 - 11:09

888 config

To echo everyone else's responses, you cannot connect an 888 to a laptop directly using its digi port. However, you can use the 888 as a standalone converter and take your pick of any firewire-based i/o devices (you would need to choose one that can receive multiple channels of AES). Another option would be to purchase a MAGMA chassis that has been qualified by Digidesign (these can include a PCM-CIA card for laptops that can support expansion cards) and purchase a used Mix|Core card for approx $2000 USd.

Either way, you need to spend some coin. If not, flip the 888 for whatever you can get for it.