Skip to main content

Which do you think is a better control surface for Pro Tools?

Topic Tags

Comments

McCheese Wed, 12/14/2005 - 13:17

Well, I've played with the command 8, and liked it. It feels a lot like the 002 of course, and I really like the inclusion of a monitoring section. It feels a little more well-built than the 2400.

The 2400 has the obvious benefit of more faders, and also surround panning if you need it. I personally didn't like the overall feel of it though, it felt cheaply constructed.

The control surface I like the most at this price range is the Mackie Control. Mostly because I like the feel of the P&G faders. I know that seems like a strange thing, but it was important to me. It felt more like a mixer and less like a toy.

anonymous Wed, 12/14/2005 - 14:10

P&G faders?? what's that?

I just like the idea of having more faders, the thing I don't like is that there is no led screen telling you the names of the tracks, is it easy to set up the plug=ins on the 2400? and on the 2400 what exactly is the "select" button for on every track? is that the same as the record button

McCheese Wed, 12/14/2005 - 14:17

Penny & Giles, they're the manufacturer of the faders, You find them on a lot of mid and mid-high end consoles, so the faders on it just have the same feel as a console fader. That may or may not be an issue for your. Purely personal preference.

The select button chooses which track is being operated by the control section to the right. It's a common feature of digital mixers and surfaces to have one set of EQ or Compression controls in the master section, and you hit the 'select' button to choose which channel they work for at the moment. The settings for each channel are then stored so you can apply different EQ to each channel.

McCheese Wed, 12/14/2005 - 14:28

I'd just like to see more mid-level options. Something along the lines of Digidesign's Control24 and new D-Command (Not the massive D-Control).

Right now, outside of protools, you're either stuck with tascam and mackie, you're you're dropping $80k on an AWS900. Not that I'd have a problem with an AWS900.

There's also that thing that looks like the controls for the Enterprise, but I can't remember who makes it.