Skip to main content

I Have a M-audio Sputnik microphone, but the problem is, that i don't have a power supply for it, which is a big problem because it is a 7-pin multi-pattern large diaphragm vacuum tube condense microphone, and there is no way to get it I live in Czech republic and here it's impossible to order it. But i have a friend which has a NADY TCM 1050 power supply, which happens to also be 7-pin, with a xlr-3-pin output. So i checked the specs to make sure everything is fine and the only noticeable difference would be the sensitivity which is on the NADY TCM 1050 power supply is 15 mV and on the Sputnik is 30mV.
So if anyone knows if it would be usable and if I can connect it please let me know.
thanks

Comments

Boswell Fri, 01/28/2011 - 07:03

How certain are you that the supply voltage specifications and the pinout of the 7-pin XLR connector are identical for these two microphones? If you do not have 100% agreement between the two, do not even think about using the PSU of one make of microphone to power another make. It could be costly if you get it wrong.

I don't know what you mean by the "sensitivity" on the power supply.

Can you post links to the specifications and/or schematics of both power supply units?

moresound Sat, 01/29/2011 - 23:42

TheJackAttack, post: 362550 wrote: If the pins on the cable are straight through like usual then the cable isn't special. It's the pin out on the mic matching the pin out on the PS that is important. Also important is the power distribution. If the mic requires more amps than the PS can dish out it won't work.

Would it be more than "won't work" and possibly fry something?