Skip to main content

Any experience with the Audio-Technica 3035 for sax recording?

How's it compare to AT 2020 or Shure KSM 27 or SM57or Marshall V6?

Comments

JoeH Tue, 08/02/2005 - 12:03

i've got a pair of them in my second rig that I use in a pinch - whenever I'm stuck for a decent LD side address mic. They sound good on a lot of things - choral, instrumental, etc. Their sound and suggested application is very close to the 4040's, but they're a little bit noiser and don't handle high spl quite as well. (Nothing you'd probably notice when used on a live/loud sax section, but perhaps not good enough for solo sax in the studio, ya know what I mean?)

But sheesh for the price ($299 each, I think, at most discount online houses and GC/SA?) they're surely worth a listen.

anonymous Tue, 08/02/2005 - 13:20

JoeH wrote: i've got a pair of them in my second rig that I use in a pinch - whenever I'm stuck for a decent LD side address mic. They sound good on a lot of things - choral, instrumental, etc. Their sound and suggested application is very close to the 4040's, but they're a little bit noiser and don't handle high spl quite as well. (Nothing you'd probably notice when used on a live/loud sax section, but perhaps not good enough for solo sax in the studio, ya know what I mean?)

But sheesh for the price ($299 each, I think, at most discount online houses and GC/SA?) they're surely worth a listen.

Thanks. I do need to record solo sax in home studio. Any opinions as to what the 3035 is like in comparison to AT 2020 or Shure KSM 27 or SM57or Marshall V6?

Joe E.