Skip to main content

Hey everybody. I just bought an M-Audio Audiophile 192 off ebay and was wondering what the best recording application is right now. I haven't recorded in almost 5 years but I was using Acid and Cakewalk back in the day.

What's the best software with the easiest learning curve?

--
Steve

Topic Tags

Comments

anonymous Thu, 02/08/2007 - 22:03

the3kgt2 wrote: Hey everybody. I just bought an M-Audio Audiophile 192 off ebay and was wondering what the best recording application is right now. I haven't recorded in almost 5 years but I was using Acid and Cakewalk back in the day.

What's the best software with the easiest learning curve?
-- Steve

The learning curve on most quality software sucks pretty much equally in my opinion. I totally dissaprove of the way just about every piece of software is designed, and I have used pretty much all of them. The user interfaces suck... the screens are cluttered with unnecessary crap... and the operation of most programs is counterintuitive or, in general, just nonesensical.

The only three programs I ever found truly "easy" and "intuitive" were ACID, Sound Forge, and Cool Edit, and theres a reason for that..... because they are all introductory programs, hence easy to learn.

As to the "best software" part of the question, Sequoia is probably the best out right now, but its overkill for most people.

Samplitude is probably the best reasonably priced program out there right now with the most 'raw power', dollar for dollar. The learning curve is not anymore obnoxious than most of the other similarly complicated programs, and its the best, aside from Sequoia (and arguably equal to if not better than Nuendo...)

For the more budget conscious... SONAR is the way to go. Its got the power... but isnt excessively complicated. It has a hugely supported user base and a lot of forums where you can go to ask other Sonar users questions if you get stumped.

I use Sonar and Samplitude most frequently. Sonar, I think is the best moderately powerful program which fits the general intent of your question. Its a bit of a pain in the ass to learn in my opinion when your comparing it to ACID... but so is every other program out there thats good. But the learning curve is made easier because theres so many books on SONAR and so many people use it.