Skip to main content

I am looking to buy the Tascam 1800..it has the correct amount of mic inputs I need, it is USB and not Firewire, and it is in my price range. I will also be buying a new computer to run the 1800. It will be a PC, not a MAC.

I am curious if anyone on here can tell me some things I should keep in mind as far as this new computer? I have been looking at a bare bones kit Asus(dual core, 12g of ram, runs at 3.1ghz).will this be enough to run the 1800 without any problems?

Here is a link to the specs of the computer I am looking at: http://www.tigerdir…"]ASUS M4A88T-M Thermaltake Barebones Kit - ASUS M4A88T-M Mobo, AMD Phenom II X2 550 BE, CPU Cooler, Patriot (3x 4GB) 12GB DDR3 RAM, 1TB HDD, 24x DVDRW, Thermaltake V2 Mid Tower Case, 450W Power Supply at TigerDirect.com[/]="http://www.tigerdir…"]ASUS M4A88T-M Thermaltake Barebones Kit - ASUS M4A88T-M Mobo, AMD Phenom II X2 550 BE, CPU Cooler, Patriot (3x 4GB) 12GB DDR3 RAM, 1TB HDD, 24x DVDRW, Thermaltake V2 Mid Tower Case, 450W Power Supply at TigerDirect.com[/]

Topic Tags

Comments

Ck23dw Sun, 09/11/2011 - 01:08

looking pretty good

That systems seems pretty good. Couple things tho

Hard drive: You'll want 2 hard drives, 1 as your system drive for windows/DAW software to run on and a 2nd for your audio (especially for recording TO), BUT
This system comes with a "green hard drive" which (A) has a slow top rotation speed and (B) has low power features that slow things down when it thinks it needs to. I personally wouldn't use one of these for either of my main drives. I would use it as a 3rd backup drive. You could probably get away with it as your system drive, but like i said, i wouldn't. You most definately need a different/better one for recording to. You need 7200+RPM and i like 64mb cache on a recording drive for multiple input recording. I like the Western Digital Black drives or Seagate Barracuda XT. My favorite is the Western Digital RE4, made for "Servers, video surveillance, and other demanding write-intensive applications." ie audio recording.

Everything else looks good to me. Nothing else about this system would really be limitting you, as far as i can tell. Maybe lack of more USB2 ports on the front of the case(only 2) Try to plug ONLY the audio interface into the *back panel USB 2.0 and nothing else* -- keyboard,mouse,etc in the front. And actually since u have 2 USB3.0 ports, i would probably use one of those, just so your Tascam has the USB lane all to itself.

Liquid cooler for the CPU? and some quiet fans, if you're recording close to the box. Dunno how noisey the included ones are

Thats all i got