Skip to main content

I am not quite ready to go for my mix+ setup, but at the same time still want to experiment.

I am just about to purchase a new 466

question is - Would I be able to run both a Digi-001 and MOTU interfaces on the same G4, using the 001 with PT LE, and the MOTU stuff with DP - just switch which interfaces I would want

or would there be conflicts?

take care - Jason C. Crouch

Topic Tags

Comments

anonymous Mon, 05/21/2001 - 18:52

Originally posted by Opus2000:
The two cards can live in harmony in one machine yes..sometimes it's best to create a seperate extension set for each mode as to prevent any issues but it's really not neccessary. Opus

Hi Opus - can you please clarify what an "extension set" is? I have a Motu 2408mkII, but need to use a second card - MidiMan D-man PCI- in order to hook the CD-R up.Unfortunately, even though the Motu PCI card is selected as the preferred device in my control panel multimedia settings, I'm still running into IRQ probs. I've totally removed the drivers for both cards and tried different slots, without much meaningful improvement. Perhaps your extension set idea will help me.
sturgis58
:confused:

Opus2000 Tue, 05/22/2001 - 11:28

Sturgis..an extension set is a Mac based thang..for a PC you might want to look into setting up different users..as you set up each user you can tell what user can use certain devices or programs and so forth..what do you mean you have to hook up your CDR to the D-Man? is this an external CDR? Why are you setting the preferred device in your multimedia control panel? Is this so you can play windows sounds or your CDRom thru it? It's not the ideal thing to do granted it is a nice feature but not really reccomended. IRQ issues can be tough to resolve indeed...you can put it to an analogy..like the nutshell game..never know where that ball is going to show up!! The best way to resolve IRQ's is to take all cards out except for the video card then add each card one at a time and configure it till you have everything on it's own IRQ..also disable any Com ports to free up some IRQ's to work with. Give me some specs as to what your machine is and what you do with it and lets see what I can do for ya
Opus

anonymous Tue, 05/22/2001 - 15:00

Hi Opus, 1st, thanks for your kind reply and offer of assistance -it's always a treat to speak with you, as I'm an old US428 forum guy.Those were the days...Now my home system is much more "pro", centered around a Panasonic DA7, 3 LX20's, BRC, Masterlink, the Motu 2408mkII, and of course my (t)rusty old PIII600. 384Ram, 2 30G Maxtor 7200rpm drives. Of late, I've been trying to get up to speed with Sonar, and I've allowed the ADAT's to gather mucho dust. My DAW is so stable since I installed the ATA100 controller and the 2 new drives, that I'm finally multitracking solely to the computer, out to my mixer thru the Motu, and mixdowns to the Masterlink via AES lines.
As far as my CD-R, what I meant was the soundcard CD connector, so I can play CD's thru the computer. The Motu PCI card has no connector, so most users have to rely on a second card in their system in order to play CD's. I realize that the CD-R drive is plugged into the system bus via it's ribbon cable, and I have pulled ALL of my PCI cards out and uninstalled all of the drivers, attempting to coax a better IRQ config. My system sounds are all disabled, as well as all internet sounds. The reason I asked about the extension sets was a problem I'm having with Sonar and the Motu drivers.Sonar will not recognise output pair 1/2, leaving me with only 6 outputs to my console (3/4, 5/6 & 7/8). I've tried everything.In fact, I dumped the extra soundcard, and even put Sonar onto it's own hard drive. I still get an audio dropout when I start Sonar, and an error message stating that output pair 1/2 is unavailable, and in use by another application. Any thoughts? Besides Motu's total lack of support for Windows users, that is.... :mad:

Opus2000 Wed, 05/23/2001 - 18:00

Yeah...my thought is to dump Sonar...I've been hearing nothing but bad things about that software since it came out..Frankly I cant believe the amount of people that are still using it!!! I would have tossed the thing out the window ages ago..I think Cakewalk should stop being stubborn and accept the ASIO driver protocol...everyone else is. Why not stay with what is working IMHO. WDM drivers are a bitch to get working properly. I dont think it's MOTU issue alltogether..unless they have plans for an updated WDM driver for the PC's which I highly doubt will happen anytime soon.
Opus

anonymous Wed, 05/30/2001 - 18:58

I am about to move into a studio and the idea is that we can work between my mac and my friend's pc, and synch them up. He got Gigasampler & Cakewalk, and I use PTLE. He also got a SOundblaster Live card. My question is:

can we midi up his controller & korg sound module & computer for Gigasampler and Cakewalk's sequencer, and my k2000 and PTLE? Do I need Midiman or some other unit for this to work?

Juergen

Opus2000 Sat, 06/02/2001 - 01:07

That concept can work but you need a MIDI input per computer...one has to be the master and one the slave..most people tend to make the Giga products the slave. You can send the MIDI out of Pro Tools LE to the input to the PC if so desired.
If you have more detailed questions..shoot em towards me anytime!!
Opus