Skip to main content

IF I want to add compression with an outboard compressor post tracking, do I *HAVE* to run the line out of digi002 to the compressor and back into a new track in Protools?

OR is there a way to insert the compressor into the signal chain of the pro tools track and bypass(or not) at will similar to plugins?

Thanks.

Comments

anonymous Fri, 05/13/2005 - 10:13

Use the I/O setup menu to setup your hardwre insert and name it.
Now, you'll be able to use it on your audio track. but only in one track at a time. If you have several tracks that need to run to your hardware insert, create an aux track.

To bypass your hardware insert in PT, stop playback and control+command the insert. It will disable it. Not as fast as a software bypass, but at least you can make comparisons witout scrolling in menus to remove and then put it back over and over again.

T.

anonymous Sat, 05/14/2005 - 07:24

Whether or not you rename the I/0 it will work as an insert.
In the edit window each track has an insert patch where you would normally insert software EQ's and such. In that window you also have the choice of I/0 and if you choose that it will route your signal out that output and in the same input. For example, you connect a stereo(or mono) compressor to the ins and outs of track 7 and 8 (mono) of your 002. You then choose it as an "insert" in your audio track or a master/sub fader and it will route it thru your device. I use this all the time to strap a stereo tube compressor across the mix (master fader) bus or to do analog compression on a lead vox. My stereo compressor is also a mic pre so when tracking I just change the input of that channel to 7&8 and I don't have to repatch anything.

anonymous Sat, 05/14/2005 - 12:36

awesome, thanks for the tips. It works no problem. The only reason I never tried it before is because a studio guy told me that you can only bus effects like reverb etc, but not things such as compressors.

What's the deal with that? IS it one of those "you can but shouldn't" and if so why?

For eg, using my cirumstances. I wanted to do this to compress some of my drum tracks and I have a good outboard compressor that I would rather use than a plugin. But I only have one comp - and three tracks to compress. As I said, it works - I'm just wondering why this fellow advised me not to do it.

x

User login