Skip to main content

Does anyone have experience (good or otherwise) with the Korg MR 1000?

I'm thinking of getting one for field work. Mainly ambient recording. Nature sounds etc. I'm not able to find any info regarding the Korg and M/S decoding.

Can anyone advise me if the Korg does do M/S. Also, if anyone has a suggestion for a recorder of similar cost, I'm open for suggestions.

Regards
John

Topic Tags

Comments

gentlevoice Mon, 04/28/2008 - 12:33

Hi John,

Just out of curiosity - what is M/S decoding?

Below is the link to Korg's webpages on the MR-1000 but I don't know if this is what you are looking for....

http://www.korg.com/gear/info.asp?a_prod_no=MR1000&category_id=3

If you are interested in how to make a DSD disc using a PC here's a link to that:

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,89333.0.html

Regards,

Jesper

anonymous Thu, 07/17/2008 - 13:47

As far as I know (and I own one) the korg doesn't do MS decoding. Why do you need it to? I'm assuming you're going to import the files to your computer eventually, and can convert them then, so do you just want it for when you're monitoring in the field?

Probably the most/only annoying thing I've found with the MR-1000 is that there is no panpots for the monitoring of microphones - mic 1 is always left, and mic 2 is always right, with no overlap. Great if you're doing XY stereo micing, terrible if you're running mono or MS.

anonymous Thu, 07/17/2008 - 20:42

That recorder test sheet is interesting, but I'm not sure it's the best test for the MR-1000. AFAIK the MR-1000 uses a very different signal chain when recording normal WAV files at whateever bitdepth/sample rate, than it does when using it's 1-bit chain. All those tests were done at 44.1/16bit, using the 'highest available gain setting' and it's well known that the 'High Gain' switch on the back of the MR-1000 produces a lot of noise.

I'd be interested to see what each recorder's noise level was when things are recorded at the highest available sample rates per machine.

anonymous Mon, 07/21/2008 - 16:01

DonnyWright wrote: 1/8 th inch stereo jacks for the external mics = lame.
Look at the Fostex FR2-LE. Great sound and has XLR in.

That's the MR-1, the iPod sized recorder. The MR1000 is book-sized and has combo XLR/quarter-inch jacks for both input and output. In fact, the MR-1000 doesn't have an 1/8th jack on it at all.

Codemonkey Tue, 07/22/2008 - 06:35

"it's well known that the 'High Gain' switch on the back of the MR-1000 produces a lot of noise."

You know what to do then?
Don't change the switch.

Repeat after me (if you want):
It is common knowledge that the electronics within the unit become noisy when the high gain feature has been activated. The switch is merely a way to activate this extra gain and does not produce electrical noise in it's own right.

x

User login