Skip to main content

Hello

I am trying to record my Korg Ms2000b into Ableton live 8.

What kind of gear do I need to make this happen? I have a m-audio 1X1 midi interface running two midi cables into the Korg, but I can't get any sound from my speakers nevermind the ability to record it. I have the track armed and preferences adjusted to recognized the interface.

I read on another forum that you need to run audio cables through the Korg as well as midi. In that case, would I need a usb/audio interface to get the job done? If so, can anyone tell me if the m-audio fast track pro 4x4 would work?

I'm perplexed because the MS2000B user manual recommends a midi interface, but my current setup still is lacking. Not sure what the missing link is. Please help.

Thanks
-Tim

Comments

TheJackAttack Fri, 01/07/2011 - 16:45

http://www.ableton.com/downloads/download_file?file=manuals/82/ableton_live_manual_en.pdf

Page 169 talks about how to record midi notes into Ableton. For playback, you will have to either set up the keyboard as a VSTi or use the audio output jacks on the keyboard itself as MIDI is not an audio file and will require a MIDI instrument. Page 209 discusses this aspect. I'm not a MIDI guy so audiokid or one of the others will chime in and correct me or clarify at some point.

audiokid Fri, 01/07/2011 - 18:38

I don't use your setup but its all the same as long as your interface has audio and mid ins/outs?

From what it sounds like then, you are only using your Korg Ms2000b as a controller and "yes" you need to hook up the audio outs of the Korg into your interface if you want to be able to record the Korg's sounds. I am assuming you are wanting to use ableton to sequence the Korg but are confused how to get the audio into Ableton. You are thinking that midi is audio information but it is NOT! Midi is only digital information that triggers the audio of the Korg. Read more on midi.

Do you see midi trigger action in Ableton when you play a note on your Korg? In other words, are you at least seeing that Ableton is recognizing your Korg's midi channel?

If you have midi correct then you can sequence your Korg with Abelton. You create midi tracks for that. The next step is getting your audio into Ableton to record.

Ableton will record midi on a midi track(s) (read your manual on how to get the midi to play your Korg) You then record the audio into Ableton as a "audio" track(s). Makes sure you read the manual here as it gets tricky. You need to be sure you don't get a midi loop. It will lock up your DAW most likely and you will be more confused.

You really need to read more on controlling Midi with Ableton and how to record instruments that you are sequencing back into Ableton. Its a big topic to type out in one post here.

If all you want to do is record the audio without sequencing the midi, you record the Korg audio just like any audio. Left and right out of Korg, into 1 and 2 into your interface and record.

Hope this helps some.

Make sense?

x

User login