Skip to main content

Okay, the continuing saga of trying to record my 4 piece band:
My setup so far:
- a fast computer with Cubase/Audacity/Soundforge installed
- M-audio 2496 card
- Yamaha 8 channel powered mixer (that we use for a practice PA)
- Good quality mics for drums, vocals,
- one guitar plugs directly into the mixer, the other has a mic positioned about 7" in front of the Amp speaker.

So far I've tried recording the output from the mixer directly into the stereo inputs on the 2496, and the results are very good. Its tricky getting our *! vocalist to sing at the same volume level, but other than that, so far so good.

Now, I'm wondering what do I need to take it it to the next level?
Basically a mult-tracked setup where the 8 individual channels show up as seperate tracks in Cubase or Audacity?

- would I need a breakout box and a different sound card?
- is there anyway of rigging the 2496 to handle multiple channels at once?

I suppose if not, we can always lay down tracks individually - especially the vocalist :roll:

Topic Tags

Comments

Boswell Sat, 05/24/2008 - 05:04

The 2496 is basically a 2-channel (stereo) card, although it does have an S/PDIF input as well. Similarly, Audacity will only record in stereo. If you want to lay down one or two tracks at a time and track other sessions on top, you could do this with what you have, although there are latency issues with Audacity when using its software playthrough.

To go to multitrack recording, you will need a multi-channel interface and multi-channel software. Most versions of Cubase will handle this, otherwise look at Kristal or Reaper for free/cheap programs. If you are going to get a new multi-channel interface, there are often package deals that bundle adequate recording software in with the interface hardware.