Skip to main content

Hey.
Im looking to replace my RODE NT5 with something else, and Ive been adviced to look into the AT4040s.
I did a search here and the only negative comment was a thread about noise in them which seemed to stem from a wrong phantom voltage (24 not 48 or something) Just want the most recent comments on the mic. It ONLY needs to be good for OH, anything else will be condisered a bonus. I can get a pair in the UK for around 420$

Thanks
Labs.

Comments

anonymous Sun, 02/15/2004 - 08:48

I own one, and it is a permanent part of my locker. It is very quiet, sensitive, and has a 2-micron element. It does not have the high frequency response of the TLM-103, etc, but that is not why I bought it.

I'd rate it as a bright/neutral type mic.

The price you are paying is very good, a few dollars less than the new price every day from eBay sellers.

lorenzo gerace Sun, 02/15/2004 - 10:19

Hi

I got a pair last month and so far I only had the chance to test them on some small recordings I'm doing for the soundtrack of a DV feature I'm working on; they seem to be bright and clear (on acoustic guitar), but one word of caution: they are very different from the NT5, I have a pair of those too, being SD condensers, while the 4040 is a mid/large dia condenser, so they aren't really comparable IMO; I plan to get more in depth with the 4040 around the half of the next month when I'll have some bigger recording sessions with acoustic instruments, but I do know (from other users) they are killer as OH and piano mics, try them out, better, for that price I'll get them right away.

Hope this helps

L.G.

x

User login