Skip to main content

Hello my ANUS! :)

Topic Tags

Comments

Tommy P. Sun, 04/07/2002 - 18:04

One satisfied SDFC user here! :D
That looks like a great list, 1 gig of ram? Wow!
Kudos for the CardDeluxe, its got incredible specs.
I'm using a Matrox G450 dualhead video card. It has great 2D clarity and colors, its not a gaming card. The drivers and control software is what you would expect from Matrox - way above average. At 2.1Ghz, the mobo AGP and PCI run exactly in specifications, as it does at 1.6Ghz. So the video card has no stress from an overclock. They would run out of specs if you chose other frequencies besides 1.6 and 2.1, such as 1.920 or 2.000. ;)

anonymous Sun, 04/07/2002 - 18:12

If you're running a gig of ram, then wasting 32M worth of address space with a 64M video card really is a non-issue. For video, I'm running the ATI Radeon 7500 (OEM cheapskate version, cost about $85) and they do great for both 2D windows work and playing 3D shoot-em-up games. Has capability for dual monitors too!

My new machine (ASUS P4T-E) is running the 1.6a at 2.13GHz (133MHz FSB, set with the dipswitches, stock 1.50volts, stock heatsink/fan) rock solid stable and I can't even feel the heatsink getting warm.

anonymous Sun, 04/07/2002 - 23:44

Originally posted by Tommy P.:
At 2.1Ghz, the mobo AGP and PCI run exactly in specifications, as it does at 1.6Ghz. So the video card has no stress from an overclock. They would run out of specs if you chose other frequencies besides 1.6 and 2.1, such as 1.920 or 2.000. ;)

Tommy, could you explain why? The 2.1 frequency is produced when FSB is at 133Mhz, while it's supposed to be 100Mhz, and PCI bus frequency is derived from FSB. What am I missing here?

anonymous Mon, 04/08/2002 - 06:37

The 1.6a has its multiplier locked at 16x so at FSB 100MHz, the final cpu speed is 1600MHz, the AGP divider is 2/3 for 66MHz and the PCI divider is 1/3 for 33MHz.

At FSB 133MHz, the AGP divider gets set to 1/2 for 66MHz and the PCI divider gets set to 1/4 for 33MHz.

At other FSB OC speeds you have to choose between one or the other set fixed of AGP and PCI dividers so that those bus frequencies will become something different that the specification speeds of 66 and 33. Most AGP video cards can handle an overclocked or underclocked AGP bus speed, and it only really affects your frame rate when playing 3D games. PCI cards are a different matter, many use the PCI clock as a timing base such that running out of spec could cause unpredictable results if the card works at all. Audio interface cards, SCSI cards, and IDE cards often tend to be ill-behaved when running them at oddball PCI clock speeds. Some brands/models have their own on-board clock circuitry and don't care what the PCI bus clock is running at, and can tolerate a wider range.

anonymous Mon, 04/08/2002 - 11:42

The divider "gets set" at 4? How? I just went thru the P4B266 bios/manual and nowhere does it say anything about selecting PCI divider/speeds that I can tell.

The GA-8IRXP manual was also unclear saying simply "The PCI bus speed is derived from the FSB". So I called the company and asked tech dept... they said the divider doesn't/can't change. It just OC's the PCI if you run at 133FSB. Oh well, there goes my GNUS dreams!

I know the Abit BD7-Raid allows for selecting the PCI divider in the BIOS.

Please post exactly how you set up the Asus P4B266 to run 133FSB/533memory/66AGP/33PCI. (Or maybe you are referring only to Asus P4T-e in regard to the PCI divider?)

theDude

anonymous Mon, 04/08/2002 - 12:17

Both the P4B266 DDR mobo and the P4T-E rambus mobo have a bank of dipswitches that you can use instead of the bios menu software settings to select clock speeds. The bios soft menu settings only let you fiddle with the base FSB clock. The dipswitches have the ability to pick FSB speed and divider settings. I have no idea on the 8IRXP how to select alternate dividers.

PS: There's supposed to be a P4B266-E board out there that has on-board Promise ATA/133 RAID, but I think thus far it's only been seen for sale in Japan and Europe.

anonymous Mon, 04/08/2002 - 15:44

The Promise FastTrak2000 ATA/133 raid PCI card is supposedly more versatile than the version that they allow to be imbedded onto mobos anyway... something about Promise requiring a more restrictive firmware/bios license for OEM mobo vendors and intentionally not letting them allow raid 0+1 and the full range of stripe sizes for on-board RAID, which you can get with the separate card.

anonymous Mon, 04/08/2002 - 19:18

Thank you for the info.

Nick - very interesting reading!! Are you sure that the divider speeds can only be set by the dip-switches? If that is the case then I'll be adjusting the bios by those switches.

OPUS - What do you think about this?

The rest of ANUS? Any thoughts on OC'ing manually? Is anyone else OC'ing by the Dip Switches?

Thanks for the two video card mentioned so far. I'd really like to hear what the rest of the ANUS group is using.

Thanks again,

CustomProd

anonymous Mon, 04/08/2002 - 19:30

Hey, mulling over my shopping cart at http://www.newegg.com and perused the comments on the 1.8a Northwoods. Seems a number of folks are OC'ing them to 2.4ghz via the same method, without trouble.

What do you guys feel about the advisability of that one? I'm looking at Asus P4B266 OEM, and a stick of 256MB Corsair PC2400 DDR with CL=2. Think it'll fly without a hitch, or am I tempting the fates here?

theDude

Opus2000 Mon, 04/08/2002 - 21:37

What do I think? Hmmmm....it sucks...lol
ha ha ha ha!! Welcome back you say right?! lol
sounds like a slammin system to me..I love the ANUS machine!! God that sounds bad!! lmao
I use the Matrox G550 dual head AGP card..that has the 1.5volt "split" on it...well, I'm juts doing a very basic posting tonight as I am spent from traveling all day...got to love airplane seats...not the most comfortable things on the planet!! lol
Opus

anonymous Tue, 04/09/2002 - 05:47

Hey if the latest batches of 1.8a are running stable at FSB 133, go for it!!! 2.4GHz would run like a dream. It's only about $50 more than the 1.6a, which I've noticed has increased in price by $3 since last time I looked.

Life's a big gamble anyway, you can't gain the extraordinary unless you're willing to take a risk sometimes :D

If you can swing the extra money, I'd also try to put two of those 256M cas2-2-2 DDR sticks in. Half a gigabyte of ram is where a W2K or XP machine really can begin to cruise effortlessly in high gear.

As to the dipswitch divider settings, I know my P4T-E works that way. Seem like the bios tried some lame attempt to auto-set them, but wouldn't even boot with FSB greater than 120 in the soft menu only.... had to use the switches and set my rambus multiplier to 3x instead of 4x so I'm not getting 533MHz on the rambus, only 399.9MHz which is still pretty good.... gets the same effect of stock 400MHz for the book value of max 3.2GB/s memory bus thruput.

Opus2000 Tue, 04/09/2002 - 10:19

First...where do you see that the P4 2.0Ghz chip is only $50 more than the 1.6a? Or is it you are saying the 1.8 is $50 more..that is true indeed...I'm waiting forthe 2.0 and higher chips to lower in price than I will go for that and OC it to 3+ Ghz....
Hey Dude....I salivate every day...normal..lol
Opus

anonymous Tue, 04/09/2002 - 12:09

Originally posted by Opus2000:
First...where do you see that the P4 2.0Ghz chip is only $50 more than the 1.6a? Or is it you are saying the 1.8 is $50 more..that is true indeed...I'm waiting forthe 2.0 and higher chips to lower in price than I will go for that and OC it to 3+ Ghz....
Hey Dude....I salivate every day...normal..lol
Opus

Yep that's what I said, at newegg, the 1.8a retail version is currently at $184 (was 185 earlier today) and the 1.6a retail is now back down to $133 (was 135 earlier today, was 132 last Friday)

Hey, it's only money, the 2.4 northwood is only $574 over at googlegear !!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Opus2000 Tue, 04/09/2002 - 19:17

Originally posted by CustomProd:
AaahhhSSsshhaawww!! And a 1991 Ferrari Testarosa is only $82,400.00 at http://www.pinnaclemotorsports.com

Lessa see....a new chip or the Ferrari? Seeing how both are a dream right now.....I go for the car!! :D LOL Hey Nick!! Seeing that it's only money, how about buying me the car?!! You can always get more money can't ya? LOL :D
Opus

x

User login