Skip to main content

i'm trying to figure out how to play the keys on my roland 307 so that they will record in a sequence on my MPC2000XL. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. I was able to do so with the Triton but i'm having trouble doing it with my roland for God (and you) only knows why! Please help.

Topic Tags

Comments

KurtFoster Wed, 11/27/2002 - 08:06

I'm trying to figure out how to play the keys on my Roland 307 so that they will record in a sequence on my MPC2000XL. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. I was able to do so with the Triton but I'm having trouble doing it with my Roland for God (and you) only knows why! Please help....

I am not sure of what you're trying to do here and I don't really know those machines your speaking of. I am venturing a guess here, digging into my memory and assuming the MPC2000XL is a sequencer (yuk) and the Roland 307 is a keyboard of some type. Generally the approach is the sequencer only records key commands, not audio. You should hook up midi cables to and from the sequencer (yuk) to the keyboard. You will need to activate some midi channels. Consult the owners manuals on both pieces as to what the procedure is from there. The Triton probably has an input for another device to plug into, mixing the two outputs together. (guessing again) Sans Triton, you need a mixer. Sorry I can't be of more assistance on this, I generally don't record machines but rather musicians. Perhaps someone else can help out on this? It's not my line of expertise. …….. Fats

anonymous Thu, 11/28/2002 - 19:42

Thanks for the response. I have another question for you on a completely different topic if you don't mind. I have the opporunity to work with Rob Ulsh and Dave Hummel at Mastesound Studios in Va. Beach, famous for being the home studio for such superstar producers as Teddy Riley, Timbaland, The Neptunes, and Missi Elliot. What i really mean is that Mr. Ulsh is offering classes at or around the same price range as IAR in New York and other recording institutes, but will not be able to offer certification as i understand it like these schools. My question is if it is in fact more important to gain the experience regardless of the studio, even though Mastersound is rapidly becoming similar to Motown, or to have the accredidation and certificates from other known intsitutions. I would love to remain at home in Va. Beach. I guess it really boils down to weather i want to concentrate on being a full-time engineer looking for work in other locations doesn't it. I'm really lookin' to make a decision. I'm a producer, beat maker, songwriter...that's what i love to do but i know engineering will give me the background i need to also make me one of the great producers. Any advice?

KurtFoster Thu, 11/28/2002 - 20:07

The studio business isn't what it used to be..it is very hard to make a decent living at this any longer. If you truly want to do this please don't let me discourage you but what with everybody and their friends getting DAW's and with the explosion in the marketplace of affordable recording equipment the only real recording work left is in the major rooms, working with major acts, doing commercial or industrial accounts. If you want to learn this stuff for you own self satisfaction by all means do it! But if you think you're going to get a decent living or a carrier out of it, I have to say you have about as much chance of doing that as becoming an NFL Football, Major League Baseball - player or a rock star. The chances are very slim... there are a lot of individuals out there trying for the same positions. If it's something you really want, nothing I say will discourage you but just remember it's a long uphill struggle. Going to school never hurts but the people who get the most out of it are the ones who already have a strong background and experience in recording who arrive with an agenda. ...... Fats